Pumice - east coast resource?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let us know the quality once you get it.
Got my pumice today. Looks really clean and dust free. I ordered the 3/16 and it seems to have a lot of 1/4, but overall happy with it. Will probably order a bag of 1/8 next and see if that will be better for me.

Attachments

• 20240127_191656.jpg
    20240127_191656.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 38

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes. Their pumice at this time is very consistent between 1/4" - 3/8", rarely anything bigger or smaller. I contacted them about the possibility to make available 1/8" - 1/4" which is specific for bonsai and I guess succulent planting. They replied back, but my take is that there needs to be more requests directly to them before they actually take action. The size they sell goes out of stock often, so I don't see them catering to us unless there is more demand. Maybe we may need to get some big guns from the East Coast involved... I know that @William N. Valavanis is super busy right now, but maybe in the near future?

The size is great for bigger trees, but not so much for shohin or smaller chuhin. For that I would buy either the smaller 1/8" or 3/16" 3 gal from General pumice, the small size pumice from Bonsai Tonight (Jonas), or Bonsai Jack pumice that is sifted to 1/4, and includes some 1/8" and very few 3/8".

I have bought from almost every supplier out there, all the ones I mentioned here are great, nut none can beat the price of Build A Soil 1 cuF bag shipped. Only way would be to live in a place that actually mine pumice, where you could get a yd for $50 or less...

View attachment 525679

View attachment 525680

2L bottle for size comparison, this bag is double the size of most 3 gal bags from competitors are close to the same price.

View attachment 525681

View attachment 525682

This ☝️

I prefer 1/8-3/16 for most of my stuff. I can get build-a-soil locally at a grow shop, but it's a bit large for me.

I sent GPP an email asking about pallet pricing, but never heard back. Maybe I'll try again.

RobGA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Got my pumice today. Looks really clean and dust free. I ordered the 3/16 and it seems to have a lot of 1/4, but overall happy with it. Will probably order a bag of 1/8 next and see if that will be better for me.
Just received mine. Was expecting 3 gallons to fill 3 one gallon containers. The bag I received would not, maybe 1 1/2 - 1 2/3 gallons, It weighed 12.6 pounds, and they indicated 12 pounds so that was right. I guess some pumice weighs more/less than others so a volume measurement may be more accurate than weight. First time I ordered so didn’t really know what to expect. Should 12 pounds of pumice fill 3 one gallon containers?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just received mine. Was expecting 3 gallons to fill 3 one gallon containers. The bag I received would not, maybe 1 1/2 - 1 2/3 gallons, It weighed 12.6 pounds, and they indicated 12 pounds so that was right. I guess some pumice weighs more/less than others so a volume measurement may be more accurate than weight. First time I ordered so didn’t really know what to expect. Should 12 pounds of pumice fill 3 one gallon containers?
I was thinking the same thing. Definitely not 3 gallons.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like Mother Earth brand because the sizes range from 1/4” to shohin size grains. If there is a hydroponic store near you they may have it for 20/25 dollars for a big bag. And if they don’t they may be able to get a few bags with their next order for you. Which would mean cheaper shipping at least. And before you say “no there isn’t a hydroponic store near me” I’d google it. I had no clue but I guess with weed becoming legal they are popping up everywhere but sort of quietly

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like Mother Earth brand because the sizes range from 1/4” to shohin size grains. If there is a hydroponic store near you they may have it for 20/25 dollars for a big bag. And if they don’t they may be able to get a few bags with their next order for you. Which would mean cheaper shipping at least. And before you say “no there isn’t a hydroponic store near me” I’d google it. I had no clue but I guess with weed becoming legal they are popping up everywhere but sort of quietly
I think Mother Earth has stopped selling pumice - this used to be my go-to as well.

So if your hydro store still has some in stock, buy them out!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think Mother Earth has stopped selling pumice - this used to be my go-to as well.

So if your hydro store still has some in stock, buy them out!
Oh damn, thanks. I’ll look into that

RobGA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Used some of the pumice. Does yours look like this. Looks like a mix of other stuff.

IMG_9130.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Used some of the pumice. Does yours look like this. Looks like a mix of other stuff.

View attachment 527013
No, mine seems more uniform but does have some calcinated clay. I got my 1/8 a few days ago and boy, it's pretty small. I'm just going to use it for succulent propagation. I ordered another 3/16 bag.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That is decomposed granite. Pumice should look like light grey/white volcano rock and be relatively light-weight. It is not unusual to get a few pieces of other rock in the mix - but it should be a small amount - less than 1%. Pumice is also much softer than granite, so it will be dusty and show smooth/rounded edges. Granite will be sharp and angular. This photo is of pumice from Japan - it is very lightweight and much lighter than the pumice I would get on the west coast. However other than that I don't know that one is necessarily better than the other. You are most interested in its ability to absorb and retain water, piece size, and uniformity. We just bought a fireplace for our new house, and the manufacturer uses pumice that he brings in from Iceland because of its cleanliness and uniformity. I am thinking about asking if I can buy a tote... once I have somewhere to put it.

pumice.jpg

Last edited:

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Received the pumice from build a soil.

I'll sift the soil tomorrow and share the ratio I received.

So far it looks good.

Definitely not as clean or precise sizing as general pumice.

The savings may be worth it if I can shift out enough of the largest stone.

PXL_20240204_222305073.jpgPXL_20240204_222308869.jpg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

If you read through the Amazon review for that company, this is a BIG complain a lot of buyers have... their pumice is mixed with other substrate. Maybe that is why the bag weight as much as they advertise, but the volume is less.
That is decomposed granite. Pumice should look like light grey/white volcano rock and be relatively light-weight.
This... I think it does have some pumice mixed in, but not 100% pumice for sure.

As I posted above, pumice should look white/grey, even when wet.
1707137015867.png

1707137628372.png

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm getting my Hyuga pumice - from Japan no less - from Brad at Bonsai Learning Center. Because I buy in bulk, he gives me a discount price of $35 per 18 liter bag (7.5 gallons). (His normal price is $40). This is clean, perfectly graded, lightweight pumice (see photo above). He gets a good price because he brings it in from Japan on container. Based on prices that I am seeing here, if you happen to be in NC it is definitely worth checking out - for the quality if nothing else. Plus Brad is a great guy and a member of this site :) (They have locations in Statesville and Holly Springs)

If you are considering Build-A-Soil, make sure you check out their store locator page because you might be surprised. There is a hydroponic store not too far from me (Greensboro) that is selling 1 cu. foot bags of their pumice for $29.99. Again, it's all about the local pick-up. If you can save the shipping you are well ahead of the game.

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I'm getting my Hyuga pumice - from Japan no less - from Brad at Bonsai Learning Center. Because I buy in bulk, he gives me a discount price of $35 per 18 liter bag (7.5 gallons). (His normal price is $40). This is clean, perfectly graded, lightweight pumice (see photo above). He gets a good price because he brings it in from Japan on container. Based on prices that I am seeing here, if you happen to be in NC it is definitely worth checking out - for the quality if nothing else. Plus Brad is a great guy and a member of this site :) (They have locations in Statesville and Holly Springs)

If you are considering Build-A-Soil, make sure you check out their store locator page because you might be surprised. There is a hydroponic store not too far from me (Greensboro) that is selling 1 cu. foot bags of their pumice for $29.99. Again, it's all about the local pick-up. If you can save the shipping you are well ahead of the game.
Hydroponic stores are great resources. Through the Build-A-Soil locator page I found one near me (turns out they mostly supply cannabis growers) and I got a big bag from them.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

For the life of me I can’t ever get in touch with Brad. 😂

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

how do you "compare" the differences between the pumice we get here (I buy build-a -soil, Bonsai Jack, or Jonas depending on availability) vs hyuga? I thought I heard that hyuga breaks when crushed while our pumice is harder.

Also, great price on that local build-a-soil pumice. I pay around $37 with shipping. The closest one to me is in Austin, but they don't have any pumice, or any build-a-soil items at this time.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
how do you "compare" the differences between the pumice we get here (I buy build-a -soil, Bonsai Jack, or Jonas depending on availability) vs hyuga? I thought I heard that hyuga breaks when crushed while our pumice is harder.
It is much lighter weight. Hard to say by how much, but I would say 30% less or more. Very noticeable if you are used to tossing bags of it around. Lighter in color and slightly smaller in piece size. Well screened with very little size variation. I went out right now and tried to crush some with my fingers, but was not able to. It does not feel light enough with enough void space to be able to do so (generally). I also put some in a measuring cup that I filled with water, and got about 10-15% floating pieces initially... but even as I watched several were becoming saturated and dropped to the bottom. Piece size is identical to hard akadama (double line brand).

Aside from the lighter weight, lighter color, and piece size, I can't see a difference in terms of utility versus my west coast pumice. West coast pumice usually came in very dirty and I would rinse it before use. The Japanese pumice is dusty, but with no fines. I can use it out of the bag, and with the first watering the dust simply washes away.

Note - I am comparing to bulk horticultural pumice that I would pick up in 40lb bulk bags at Orange County Farm Supply for $10 - $12. Some pumice I have gotten from other sources (like Mother Earth horticultural pumice) was quite poor, and required screening prior to use - with a high % of oversize pieces or fines.

When I say "light-weight", as an example, the 18L bag of pumice on the right weighs significantly less than the 13L bag of hard akadama on the left.
pumice.jpg

Last edited:

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is much lighter weight. Hard to say by how much, but I would say 30% less or more. Very noticeable if you are used to tossing bags of it around. Lighter in color and slightly smaller in piece size. Well screened with very little size variation. I went out right now and tried to crush some with my fingers, but was not able to. It does not feel light enough with enough void space to be able to do so (generally). I also put some in a measuring cup that I filled with water, and got about 10-15% floating pieces initially... but even as I watched several were becoming saturated and dropped to the bottom.

Aside from the lighter weight, lighter color, and piece size, I can't see a difference in terms of utility versus my west coast pumice. West coast pumice usually came in very dirty and I would rinse it before use. The Japanese pumice is dusty, but with no fines. I can use it out of the bag, and with the first watering the dust simply washes away.

Note - I am comparing to bulk horticultural pumice that I would pick up in 40lb bulk bags at Orange County Farm Supply for $10 - $12. Some pumice I have gotten from other sources (like Mother Earth horticultural pumice) was quite poor, and required screening prior to use - with a high % of oversize pieces or fines.

When I say "light-weight", as an example, the 18L bag of pumice on the right weighs significantly less than the 13L bag of hard akadama on the left.
View attachment 527463
Thanks, makes sense... I think the one that crushes is kiryu, that is often referred as Japanese pumice or river sand. I have some from Jonas, most websites state that it will not break down, but it does, and aside from the color it feels very similar to akadama. Build-a-soil, Jonas and B.Jack pumice are screened properly, B-A-S is on the large side, but true to the sized advertised. With Jonas you have the ability to chose the size you need, which is a plus. B.Jack runs true, most of the pieces are in the 1/4" with little on the 1/8" and 3/8" size.

Top Bottom