Pumice availability in So Cal

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Does anyone know where I can get 3/16" pumice in or near the Los Angeles area. My local spot that always has it, has been struggling to get the smaller 3/16" size. They have been on back order since June 2023. they do have larger 3/8" size but I need the smaller size for smaller trees. Please help?

Scriv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Does anyone know where I can get 3/16" pumice in or near the Los Angeles area. My local spot that always has it, has been struggling to get the smaller 3/16" size. They have been on back order since June 2023. they do have larger 3/8" size but I need the smaller size for smaller trees. Please help?
Ace Hardware in Van Nuys/Sherman Oaks sells pretty affordable pumice. It's a mixture of fines and larger stones so you'd have to sift out the size you need.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This is the go to place in OC, if you don't mind the drive: https://www.ocfarmsupply.com/. Last time I went it was around $18 for a 50 lb bag.
OC Farm Supply is where I got my pumice. If you are a member of the Orange County Bonsai Society you get a 10% discount. (Hint: they don't ask you for a membership card)

Last edited:

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
This is the go to place in OC, if you don't mind the drive: https://www.ocfarmsupply.com/. Last time I went it was around $18 for a 50 lb bag.
That's not a bad price, I am spoiled I normally buy mine at a place called Whittier Fertilizer which is 5 minutes away from my house and they sell it for $5 bucks for a bag that's roughly 20-30 pounds.

I have been to OC Farm Supply not far from me either. I call them and see if they have small size pumice. Thanks for the info, I had forgot about them.

Seany

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is probably a dumb question, sorry, but what are you using pumice for in Southern California? I feel like in this climate you're able to make full use of 100% akadama in most everything, and if cost is a factor, a mix of some peet or coir with perlite works great for less developed material.

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
This is probably a dumb question, sorry, but what are you using pumice for in Southern California? I feel like in this climate you're able to make full use of 100% akadama in most everything, and if cost is a factor, a mix of some peet or coir with perlite works great for less developed material.
I plant most my trees in 100% pumice, occasionally I will use 50/50 pumice and lava rock. Its a lot cheaper than akadama and the trees seem to do great. no drawbacks that I have noticed. I do want to experiment this re-pot season and try a couple of my maples with 50/50 pumice akadama and also pumice, akadama, lava equal parts to see if there's a difference.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
When I lived in the OC I grew all my conifers in 100% pumice - or 90% pumice 10% pine bark fines. Only my deciduous would get an akadama/pumice blend. Show trees/potted trees would get akadama/pumice/lava.

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
ill throw out my not so secret source, OF wolfinbagers https://www.ofwolfinbargerinc.com/ i use them and i believe chino bonsai club uses them exclusively, been in business for 90+ years, 1 scoop a half yard is only $46 :eek:
Thank you for your secret source I will try them tomorrow, have you bought 3/16" pumice from them recently?

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
ill throw out my not so secret source, OF wolfinbagers https://www.ofwolfinbargerinc.com/ i use them and i believe chino bonsai club uses them exclusively, been in business for 90+ years, 1 scoop a half yard is only $46 :eek:
Well I tried them this morning and they haven't had any in 2 months and they are not sure when they will get more, any other suggestions?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Oh wow! they've always had a huge mound in there yard, interesting, is there a pumice shortage around? lol...man I needed to get a whole yard this year too, hope they get some soon

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Oh wow! they've always had a huge mound in there yard, interesting, is there a pumice shortage around? lol...man I needed to get a whole yard this year too, hope they get some soon
Yea its starting to feel that way unless you want to pay $35 for a small 14 pound bag from online retailers. I would get 30 pound bags for $5 bucks all day long from Whittier Fertilizer for many years with out any problems. They haven't had the small 3/16" since June 2023. They do have larger pumice but other than using it for a small layer of drainage at the bottom of your pots its too large. oh well gotta keep searching.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

This is what happened to akadama in my ill fated Scots pine. Climate and heat were the worst culprits but the aka didn't help a damn bit. :mad:

black root ball.jpg

Black DIRT with dead roots.

ball first removed.jpg

Tree removed

mostly chiseled out.jpg

Most lf the kaka CHISELED out.

David P

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
This is what happened to akadama in my ill fated Scots pine. Climate and heat were the worst culprits but the aka didn't help a damn bit. :mad:

View attachment 527783

Black DIRT with dead roots.

View attachment 527784

Tree removed

View attachment 527785

Most lf the kaka CHISELED out.
Im not an expert but I would say for a pine you're better off using 100% pumice. I think the Akadama holds too much moisture for a pine. Im eager to see what the more experienced Bonsai Nut's say.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Im not an expert but I would say for a pine you're better off using 100% pumice. I think the Akadama holds too much moisture for a pine. Im eager to see what the more experienced Bonsai Nut's say.
I use APL (Akadama, pumice, lava) in 1:1:1 for pines. This works well in my climate .I would think that pure pumice in a shallow bonsai pot would dry out way too quickly. For deciduous I use more akadama; like 2:1:1.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use APL (Akadama, pumice, lava) in 1:1:1 for pines. This works well in my climate .I would think that pure pumice in a shallow bonsai pot would dry out way too quickly. For deciduous I use more akadama; like 2:1:1.
Your climate in Petaluma is somewhat milder than the furnace of the central valley. Even in same zone.
I agree on more moisture retention for deciduous but way more drainage speed in conifers.
Including junipers.

Top Bottom