east coaster looking for a palette of pumice

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In light of the recent thread discussing pumice,Anybody know a wholesaler who would ship a palette of pumice to the east coast for my club? Ive been thinking about this, i saw wee tree does it, but i would like to cut out the middle man if possible and pass the savings onto my club.

any leads would be a great help
thanks
painter

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying at least a ton of pumice as well, so it might make sense if we all purchase it together, maybe have it delivered to MABS or something. Not sure how to work out the details though.

Or, I would buy a few extra tons if I knew for sure that people would buy it off of me, obviously that would be at a price similar to ebay, which I think is like 7 8 bucks for a large flat rate box.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
You east coast guys should look into getting a volcano. Problem solved.

here is one in new mexico: http://www.coloradolava.com/

I was also thinking about importing a volcano, they sell them cheap on alibaba.com haha

Just to clarify, I definitely have a good connection to lava, the pumice I have never ordered nor shipped in. The lava I have ordered a few times and just picked up 600 pounds of it. It is clean (sieved) 1/4 inch and below with next to no fines (obviously some build up in transition but it really is very minimal). The price on that is about 300 bucks for a single ton, with the price getting better for more. They also have expanded shale at this place, as well as high fired clay, milled peat, decomposed granite, and tons of other good potential bonsai soil components. But no pumice as of now, although the owner seemed to think that he would get it in sometime soon.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Oh man, that looks awesome, and definitely looks like pumice! I'll contact them monday and post on what they say. See if buying a bunch would knock the price down a bit. I find that buying from places that sell in bluk is best, so places that sell baseball field supplies, track and field substrate, and now horse stall bedding huh!

Also, as far as equine solutions, I know this is off-topic but still very useful, I use this for heavy branch splitting.
http://www.horse.com/item/standard-nippers/BIF05/?srccode=GPHORSE&gclid=CPjk5MaxjbsCFYl9OgodK2gAdg

How can you go wrong for an HSS product shaped like this for 11.49!?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two completely different products with very similar names. Stall Dry is powdered something (it may be pumice, I don't know) but is completely unsuited for growing plants. Dry Stall is the chunky pumice that people use. Need to be careful as I once asked for "dry stall" and they said "yeah, we have that" and brought me a bag of stall dry.

Chris

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Two completely different products with very similar names. Stall Dry is powdered something (it may be pumice, I don't know) but is completely unsuited for growing plants. Dry Stall is the chunky pumice that people use. Need to be careful as I once asked for "dry stall" and they said "yeah, we have that" and brought me a bag of stall dry.

Chris

How has the dry stall worked for you?

Dusty

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
In light of the recent thread discussing pumice,Anybody know a wholesaler who would ship a palette of pumice to the east coast for my club? Ive been thinking about this, i saw wee tree does it, but i would like to cut out the middle man if possible and pass the savings onto my club.

any leads would be a great help
thanks
painter

Have you looked for local suppliers of landscaping materials? I took a couple of five gallon buckets to a local yard and they charged me the bulk rate to fill the buckets myself from the pile. It came to about $0.20 per gallon. After sifting, I probably ended up with three-and-a-half gallons per bucket. The delivery fee for large quantities should be pretty modest.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thanks everyone.
the dry stall is too small for use in almost all bonsai sizes except maybe the smallest.
we do have a lava supplier all ready.
i need to find a good source for pumice though.
i will look into what you guys have given me and go from there thank you.
painter

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How has the dry stall worked for you?

Dusty

I haven't been able to get it locally. I've heard/read that the particle size is on the small side but some seem to like it. Just like with turface, I guess...if you adjust your watering and feeding it will probably work OK.

Chris

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you looked for local suppliers of landscaping materials? I took a couple of five gallon buckets to a local yard and they charged me the bulk rate to fill the buckets myself from the pile. It came to about $0.20 per gallon. After sifting, I probably ended up with three-and-a-half gallons per bucket. The delivery fee for large quantities should be pretty modest.
I have yet to find a landscaper that stocks bulk pumice here in western NY.

BonsaiJack

Sapling
Reaction score
If you guys are looking for bulk material you are more than welcome to piggyback my next order. It will be FOB Ft Myers. You would have to pool together for a 15 yard order. The cost is $125 per yard and it is unsifted, 3/8ths down to dust. The product will yield 55 percent of 1/8th to 3/8ths material. That equates to $250 per yard of finished material or $1.23 per gallon of premium product. one yard is 202 gallons or 27 cubic feet. 15 yards will yield 7.5 yards or more of 1/8th to 3/8th. We can also bag and screen for an additional fee.

We are a small operation so screening and bagging that much material in one order will require a good lead time.

I will be placing a new order before year end.

Thanks
Jack

Top Bottom