My Brazilian rain tree

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
In vacation in Miami I wanted to purchase a tropical, the kind I would have the worse difficulties to find in Chicago (or may be I could find but it will cost me a leg)

I was more specially looking for a Brazilian rain tree or may be a willow leaves ficus.

@Robert E Holt recommended me the Bonsai dragon tree nursery in Palm city and I couldn't thank him enough! :)
The selection of trees was huge and the prices incredible, I got this BRT for $25

With my budget I was sure I won't be able to buy a tree that actually looks like a tree, l though the only possible trees will look like sticks in a pot.
Instead of that I had to remember that my wife just agreed for one more tropical inside the house otherwise I would have buy a couple more ;) :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Wow, only $25? I would have bought a few for that price! Very jealous

Nice potensai. What'cha aiming for design wise?

Thanks! :)
As I said: alone I think I would have bought the whole freaking rainforest ;)
but I'm not alone and my wife seems to think that 5 tropicals in the house for the winter is the limit :)

For the style I didn't really think about, for the moment my main concern is the plane trip back to Chicago and the fact that it will have to accept that holidays are over it is living in Il from now on...
Otherwise I guess I will try a formal upright with a umbrella-like canopy, something like that.

Friggin nice Alain.!

I want a cutting!

Safe travels My Friend!

Sorce

Oooohhww.. I want one of those too. Cannot find them anywhere here :(
Very cool price too. Getting something with a trunk for 25$.. A steal, no matter which species!

Glad it worked out for you. I considered a Brazilian Rain Tree last time I went, just wasn't sure I was up for keeping another tree in the house.

Me? I might not be "trunk", but "stick in a pot" would feel a little hurtful, frankly.:(
Now we can see what a real tree has to deal with.....:mad::rolleyes:

I'm going to hijack this thread with a question regarding a hard prune for overwintering. With all due respects....
I have two BRTs, one the mom and one an air layer from said mom. They are large due to outgrowing this season. I live in Atlanta 7b and need to overwinter
in the basement with lots of supplemental fluorescent lighting. Has anyone had any experience with chopping these relatively hard until the spring in colder climes?
I know they have die back and am aware of this. Should I leave some branches with leaves or just "give er hell" and hope for spring rebirth?
Any responses much appreciated
AND BTW...not to shabby a purchase for 25 bucks. Nice material Alain!

I'm going to hijack this thread with a question regarding a hard prune for overwintering. With all due respects....
I have two BRTs, one the mom and one an air layer from said mom. They are large due to outgrowing this season. I live in Atlanta 7b and need to overwinter
in the basement with lots of supplemental fluorescent lighting. Has anyone had any experience with chopping these relatively hard until the spring in colder climes?
I know they have die back and am aware of this. Should I leave some branches with leaves or just "give er hell" and hope for spring rebirth?

No problem for the hijacking ;)

Well concerning your question my tree too seems to be overgrown but I won't do anything about before spring, however one have to note that I know nothing about BRT :)
I would be interested to know the answer to your question, hope some other more knowledgeable-on-the-topic B-nuts will keep this hijack alive ;)

No reason to hijack just start your own thread.
It shows respect to the original poster.
Also it allows you to located the thread quickly when you want to review it.

Back
Top Bottom