Brazilian Rain Tree Advice about park

Reaction score
I’ve had a Brazilian Rain Tree for about 5 months and the bark at the base keeps on looking worse and worse. It always looks wet with what looks like salt or some other crystal deposit. Any advice on what it could be?

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    187.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What is it ill with? How do I heal it?
Looks to me to be some kind of disease... But it could be over fertilization/pesticides given your description of a mineral growth on it?

The tree grows naturally in sandy soils and does have its bark peel back so perhaps I'm just not use to seeing this specific species?

Id just go over the basic facts of the tree to make sure your providing it an ideal environment.. make sure your soil has the right PH balance, watering/ sunlight ect...

Taking it to a licensed arborist is your best choice here

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks incredibly ill... Might consider throwing the poor thing out before it spreads?
perhaps I'm just not use to seeing this specific species
Taking it to a licensed arborist is your best choice here
:(

This looks normal to me, and very similar to what my youngsters did when the bark started peeling. As the bark starts to peel, get wet, calcium carbonate deposits start to accumulate. In summer you can gently remove the soft bark. I have found this to be a once-off; After the first year, I have not had such bark, and the peeling bark just comes off in strips.

20211017-R14A5956-20.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Looks like a normal raintree to me. The bark is naturally exfoliating. The white stains are probably hard water.

Reaction score
:(

This looks normal to me, and very similar to what my youngsters did when the bark started peeling. As the bark starts to peel, get wet, calcium carbonate deposits start to accumulate. In summer you can gently remove the soft bark. I have found this to be a once-off; After the first year, I have not had such bark, and the peeling bark just comes off in strips.

View attachment 532539
Thank you, found similar answers when I did some research

Top Bottom