If roots are taking up water...

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
are they not taking up fertilizer?

I'd like to hear some peoples reasoning behind fertilizing or not fertilizing after reporting.

Homes wrote the fert book on BSG..you seen it!

It takes certain temperatures, I don't think we've hit em. Well, in December/January We did.....
But not anymore!

Sorce

I did an experiment over a decade ago in an attempt to test the theory that you shouldn't fertilize for a month after repotting. I repotted 4 two-year old cuttings from the same maple plant, trying to pick plants as similar as possible and leaving approximately the same amount of root on each plant. I fed them at 2 week intervals with fish emulsion, beginning immediately with two of them and at week four with the other two. The plants that got immediate fertilizer were noticeably healthier for the first couple of months, and by the end of the season had grown almost twice as much as the others. Whether the plants were taking up the fertilizer ("scientists" assured me this wasn't possible) or the early fertilizer setup up advantageous microbial activity, there was an obvious positive effect from the early fertilization.

I did an experiment over a decade ago in an attempt to test the theory that you shouldn't fertilize for a month after repotting. I repotted 4 two-year old cuttings from the same maple plant, trying to pick plants as similar as possible and leaving approximately the same amount of root on each plant. I fed them at 2 week intervals with fish emulsion, beginning immediately with two of them and at week four with the other two. The plants that got immediate fertilizer were noticeably healthier for the first couple of months, and by the end of the season had grown almost twice as much as the others. Whether the plants were taking up the fertilizer ("scientists" assured me this wasn't possible) or the early fertilizer setup up advantageous microbial activity, there was an obvious positive effect from the early fertilization.
Good enough for me.

Any noticeable difference in the first internode length after repotting?

My understanding was that one rationale for withholding fertilizer was to slow growth and keep that first new internode short. After that, fertilize away and plan to cut back to that first new node. Obviously this scenario is only relevant for trees entering or maintaining a refined state, not growing stock.

It makes a certain kind of sense in theory, but I don't know if that translates to practice.

I could see the fish setting up that good environment.

Sorce

Oh, i thought the fert would kill young new roots, is that also a myth, or does the early fert compensate for that?

Fish specifically.

Not cakes on top. (time delay)
Or Blue Water. (chemical)

Love the fish.

Sorce

Oh, i thought the fert would kill young new roots, is that also a myth, or does the early fert compensate for that?
I fertilize all of my trees on feeding day whether they've been recently collected, or repotted and I've never had problems with any of my trees. The only trees I'm careful with are my japanese maples, they seem to burn very easily if you give them osmocote.

Aaron

The wall of a single cell on root elongates to become what biologists call a hair root or 'trichoblast'. Nearly all mineral adsorption occurs by active biological processes in these single cell 'hairs'. Each one lasts for only a few weeks.
Oh, i thought the fert would kill young new roots, is that also a myth, ...?
myth
The only trees I'm careful with are my japanese maples, they seem to burn very easily if you give them osmocote.
What burns; the roots or the foliage?

The wall of a single cell on root elongates to become what biologists call a hair root or 'trichoblast'. Nearly all mineral adsorption occurs by active biological processes in these single cell 'hairs'. Each one lasts for only a few weeks.
myth

What burns; the roots or the foliage?
The foliage, generally around June we get into the 90s which causes the osmocote to release at a high rate which the maples go dormant around this time to fight the heat. With japanese maples, you get 1 growth spurt per year in spring in my climate, they are very slow to develop.

Aaron

Any noticeable difference in the first internode length after repotting?

My understanding was that one rationale for withholding fertilizer was to slow growth and keep that first new internode short. After that, fertilize away and plan to cut back to that first new node. Obviously this scenario is only relevant for trees entering or maintaining a refined state, not growing stock.

It makes a certain kind of sense in theory, but I don't know if that translates to practice.

I couldn't tell you for sure about the comparative internode lengths. If I were to guess all these year later, with the knowledge since acquired, I would say that the fertilized plants would surely have longer internodes. But because I was using a mild organic fertilizer, it would likely be almost imperceptible.

We've all been told to withhold early fertilizer to trees in the refinement stage, most people would acknowledge it as a valid practice. The myth I was testing was that fertilizer would burn the new tender roots. I have never had a problem fertilizing soon after repotting, using both organic and chemical fertilizers.

The foliage, generally around June we get into the 90s which causes the osmocote to release at a high rate which the maples go dormant around this time to fight the heat. With japanese maples, you get 1 growth spurt per year in spring in my climate, they are very slow to develop.

Interesting. I get two growth spurts and no such problem, but my summers are quite a bit cooler and more humid that Albuquerque. On the other hand, I do have an 'Orange Dream' in my landscape. In shade the leaves are lime green. They get more yellow with more sun and late in the season do burn; but there is no relationship to fertilizer.

I fertilized all freshly repotted and collected trees soon after the leaves came out. Theyre doing fine so I guess its not a big deal.

Oh and its miracle grow liquid chemical fert at several times suggested strength.

So called 'fertilizer burn' is the result of too much salt in the soil. This causes the plant to lose water to the soil by osmosis. The plant gets desiccated as a result and sorta looks burned (leaves droopy with browning margins). But nothing is really being burned nor even has as much as a tingling sensation.

To the original question, water adsorption occurs by passive osmosis. Even dead roots can allow water to be osmotically adsorbed. Mineral uptake, on the other hand is an energy consuming biological process - the roots must be alive to do it. So, if the roots are taking up fertilizer, they are taking in water as well. But not vice versa, necessarily.

Last 32 low on the books for tomorrow night.

I fished em.

It smells soooooo good!

Thank you Stan!

Sorce

Back
Top Bottom