Can I plant this ficus' bulbous exposed roots further into the ground?

CatInATree

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello! As the title suggests I'm wondering if I can plant this little guy further down into the ground, just enough to cover the gap as I like the structure of the trunk but not that it's floating in the sky.

Thanks
IMG_7478.jpegIMG_7480.jpeg

You certainly can plant any tree lower. Many species will respond by gradually growing more lateral roots from the existing roots but just planting deeper rarely hurts a tree.
You may need a deeper pot to get the soil level higher.
An alternative is to ground layer to speed up development of higher lateral feeder roots, then, when there's plenty of new roots where you want, cut the bulbous roots to enable a shallower pot.

Most ficus are really good at growing new roots so many growers simply chop the bulbous roots and plant the tree as a giant cutting. The vast majority simply grow lots of new roots from the cut ends of the buried roots but I can understand you may be reluctant to go this drastic. I'd wait until the tree is actively growing before going that hard.

You certainly can plant any tree lower. Many species will respond by gradually growing more lateral roots from the existing roots but just planting deeper rarely hurts a tree.
You may need a deeper pot to get the soil level higher.
An alternative is to ground layer to speed up development of higher lateral feeder roots, then, when there's plenty of new roots where you want, cut the bulbous roots to enable a shallower pot.

Most ficus are really good at growing new roots so many growers simply chop the bulbous roots and plant the tree as a giant cutting. The vast majority simply grow lots of new roots from the cut ends of the buried roots but I can understand you may be reluctant to go this drastic. I'd wait until the tree is actively growing before going that hard.
Thanks! I will get slightly bigger/deeper pot. With ground layering do I need to remove the bark around the entire base or can I make smaller cuts where I want the roots to shoot from? Also is there an alternative for spaghnum moss for ground layering?

With ground layering do I need to remove the bark around the entire base or can I make smaller cuts where I want the roots to shoot from? Also is there an alternative for spaghnum moss for ground layering?
Both layering methods, and a number of others, are used successfully.
Sphagnum is a proven rooting medium but roots will form whenever the area is damp so good potting soil will work as will perlite, sand and a number of other (preferably inert) media. Avoid garden soil and media which may contain pests and diseases that could invade through your cuts.

I just chop the roots flat to wherever I want the new base to be and replant. If you do this in summer when it's nice and hot, the tree won't miss a beat and just pop new roots like nothing happened.

That's why I love Ficus, as long as you do it in summer, they genuinely do not care how badly you abuse them.

I just chop the roots flat to wherever I want the new base to be and replant. If you do this in summer when it's nice and hot, the tree won't miss a beat and just pop new roots like nothing happened.

That's why I love Ficus, as long as you do it in summer, they genuinely do not care how badly you abuse them.
Interesting šŸ˜Š
I will have to try it in a month or 2

Back
Top Bottom