Help with newly collected Mugo Pine

Dystopik

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all!
Last week I have collected this rather young Mugo pine from a crumbling clay ravine.
Unfortunately after I started digging it I realised that has 2 tap roots going straight down, which left me with a rather small rootball. Also the roots came out with absolutely no soil on them, they look very clean although I have not washed or clean in any way. I potted it in 100% pumice, some of it repurposed from another pine I repotted which had a lot of mycorrhiza, place it in shadow with morning sun.

The tree is young and very vigorous, going into vegetation with a lot of strong, multiple candles. I do feel that the roots I got might be unable to support the tree and I might lose it.

Should I remove some of the foliage to reduce the pressure on the roots? I noticed that a few of the long candles on the very top are becoming a little limp.
Any advice of how to better care for the tree would be welcome! :)

Attachments

• 20240414_111548.jpg
    20240414_111548.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240414_111608.jpg
    20240414_111608.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20240415_104110.jpg
    20240415_104110.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20240415_104117.jpg
    20240415_104117.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20240415_104136.jpg
    20240415_104136.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 20240416_133444.jpg
    20240416_133444.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240416_133646.jpg
    20240416_133646.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 43
  • 20240416_133728.jpg
    20240416_133728.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240416_133810.jpg
    20240416_133810.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 51

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would have no doubt about a pine surviving with those roots. You actually have a good amount there.
Bare root is not a death sentence for a pine. Even if you can't see it there will be mycorrhiza on the roots to start a new colony. In any case, pines use mycorrhiza to help supply nutrients from poor soil. It is not a critical part of the pine's needs. When we provide those nutrients the Myc is almost redundant. I don't even bother transferring mycorrhiza now since I found that it very quickly appears in all the pots without my help.
My best survival for transplanted pines is when I leave plenty of intact terminal shoots. I often remove some obviously redundant branches (look for branch whorls, etc) but always leave a few strong growing tips to help stimulate root recovery.
Some wilting is to be expected after root loss as the tree adjusts to the new levels of water availability. Morning sun and protection from drying wind is a good position until it recovers.
It can take some time before conifers show whether they are alive or dead. If mine are still green at mid summer I'm reasonably confident they have survived.
Pines generally take 6-12 months to fully recover and generate new roots.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
IMo it's also important that your tree is firmly fixed to the pot, so that the roots don't move in the pot. I would mist it as often as possible. I guess adding superthrive (or other products to stimulate root growth) in the water, can't do any harm, and maybe do some good.

good luck , the tree's trunk line is good 👍
Are you sure it is a mugo pine ? the candles look like scott pine candles

Dystopik

Seedling
Reaction score
I would have no doubt about a pine surviving with those roots. You actually have a good amount there.
Bare root is not a death sentence for a pine. Even if you can't see it there will be mycorrhiza on the roots to start a new colony. In any case, pines use mycorrhiza to help supply nutrients from poor soil. It is not a critical part of the pine's needs. When we provide those nutrients the Myc is almost redundant. I don't even bother transferring mycorrhiza now since I found that it very quickly appears in all the pots without my help.
My best survival for transplanted pines is when I leave plenty of intact terminal shoots. I often remove some obviously redundant branches (look for branch whorls, etc) but always leave a few strong growing tips to help stimulate root recovery.
Some wilting is to be expected after root loss as the tree adjusts to the new levels of water availability. Morning sun and protection from drying wind is a good position until it recovers.
It can take some time before conifers show whether they are alive or dead. If mine are still green at mid summer I'm reasonably confident they have survived.
Pines generally take 6-12 months to fully recover and generate new roots.
Thank you, good advice, also this give me a lot of hope. :) I did cut off a few interior, weaker branches with no terminal buds, to get more light into the tree. I am not gonna touch the stronger buds and candles.

Dystopik

Seedling
Reaction score
IMo it's also important that your tree is firmly fixed to the pot, so that the roots don't move in the pot. I would mist it as often as possible. I guess adding superthrive (or other products to stimulate root growth) in the water, can't do any harm, and maybe do some good.

good luck , the tree's trunk line is good 👍
Are you sure it is a mugo pine ? the candles look like scott pine candles

I added a little Biobizz Algamic in the water, is just some seaweed extract that is said to help plants overcome stress.

Regardin the species, I am actually happy you mention this. Initially I thought is a Sylvestris (lots of mature and young Sylvestris around, low altitude etc). But after I got home I started to think it might actually be a mugo (more compact and bushy, deeper green needle). So I am not sure on the species just yet. I would be more than happy to know it is indeed a Scotts pine. :)

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
the scott pine needles color and size can vary very very much.. In my place, in Normandy, the scott pine needle color is this glaucous green you have on your pine. In the south mountains, the color is lighter green.. and the needles are far smaller (dry climate).

If you don't see any mugo mine on your place, if you see scotts pines, it's more likely a scotts pine ^^

Top Bottom