Help With Newly Acquired Rosemary (R. officinalis) Bonsai

It's sad to hear that. :(

I'm just starting to work on 8 of them. Bought them last year, stayed untouched so far , but their medium is no more than a regular garden soil so i have to change it now.
I was hoping that you'll come with good news but...

Do you advice any tips about repotting?
My climate is very good for them by the way. I'm in Mediterranean coast and they can grow even in wild. It will be very hot after about a month from now.

Thanks and wish u a good luck on your trees.
Don't be in a hurry to change out the soil. If the soil is draining pretty freely then leave it alone. Rosemary is one of those plants that needs a lot of organic to thrive. Also, when you repot them do not bare root them or you will have most likely given them the death sentence. Just remove some of soil from the bottom and a little on the sides then lightly trim away any roots that stick out beyond the remaining soil mass. Put it in a smaller pot (if that's your objective) and fill any voids with a 50% - 50% mix of akadama and pine bark fines. They can take several months to get going again after a repot.

Don't be in a hurry to change out the soil. If the soil is draining pretty freely then leave it alone. Rosemary is one of those plants that needs a lot of organic to thrive. Also, when you repot them do not bare root them or you will have most likely given them the death sentence. Just remove some of soil from the bottom and a little on the sides then lightly trim away any roots that stick out beyond the remaining soil mass. Put it in a smaller pot (if that's your objective) and fill any voids with a 50% - 50% mix of akadama and pine bark fines. They can take several months to get going again after a repot.

Precisely this. They like a good amount of organic matter and do not take well too heavy root pruning. Take a conservative approach when you repot.

Greatly appreciated Sir, thanks a lot.
In fact, I'm one of those who can not feel comfortable if I can't completely change the medium to my own mix so I'm on the cruel side about bare rooting, I bare rooted a lot of juniper :rolleyes: but that habit brought me a lot of experience about intensive after care and my success rate is close to 100% right now. But, this is a new specie for me so I will stick to your advice and take it easy. Because what I understand is they seem harder than junipers on this issue. Don't want to risk it.

Thank you again.

Sound advice above!
Regardless of repotting, I will add, always keep some green onto the branches you prune/cut back or they will die.

They are too leggy right now and I'm gonna prune them to the first healthy set of leaves and I will also use seal, which is not my habit generally.
I should compact them to train and as I will take a softer approach about repotting, I think they won't care about somewhat heavy pruning on the upper part.
Well, i hope. :)

Well, I don't know naked kill techniques work on bonsai but now i do know naked root technique kills rosemary :D
Rosemary is tough to deal with.................all you have to do is look at them wrong and they give up the ghost. Have seen just a few over the years that survive over the long term. By the wrinkled***** of Methuselah, I hope it works for you!!

... ...I'm gonna prune them to the first healthy set of leaves... ...
Keep more than one set of leaves, I would suggest.
... ...I think they won't care about somewhat heavy pruning on the upper part.
Do not feel so sure about this.
all you have to do is look at them wrong and they give up the ghost
Take this quote of Steve seriously! :)

I have followed this thread with a bit of interest. Rosemary is not reliably hardy in my garden so I dig it up in the fall and try to overwinter in a sunny window in a cool basement. I have had miserable results doing so. I have a couple rosemary plants potted right now and I would be reluctant to describe them as vigorous. I appreciate the helpful suggestions already provided and welcome any more.

I have followed this thread with a bit of interest. Rosemary is not reliably hardy in my garden so I dig it up in the fall and try to overwinter in a sunny window in a cool basement. I have had miserable results doing so. I have a couple rosemary plants potted right now and I would be reluctant to describe them as vigorous. I appreciate the helpful suggestions already provided and welcome any more.
Hank, I'm not sure I can help because of your location but here is something to think about. You're digging it up in the Fall, sticking it in a pot and expecting it to "be happy" in a cool basement by a sunny window over the winter. That just doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me. Fall is not the best time to dig one up so if it survives the dig, it's going to take at least a couple to a few months to get going again. That's just a fact with Rosemary. For example, I pruned one pretty heavily back in November and it is just now starting to thrive again and that's without repotting. You may be expecting too much too soon.

So let's try to work out a successful plan. Here are a few questions that can help:

1. What exactly are you growing Rosemary for, i.e. are you wanting to make a bonsai or are you just using it as a herb?
2. Do you have access to a grow light or is a sunny window your only option?
3. How "cool" is your basement?
4. Why are you planting it in the ground? Are you trying to thicken the trunk?
5. How short is your Summer growing season?

Let me know and we'll see if we can piece together a solution.

Vin

I am in IL also, although further south. I did the same thing last fall with my rosemary. Pulled it out of my herb garden, potted it, and brought it inside. It promptly died. But I got some wiring practice:)

Reactions: Vin
Hank, I'm not sure I can help because of your location but here is something to think about. You're digging it up in the Fall, sticking it in a pot and expecting it to "be happy" in a cool basement by a sunny window over the winter.
Hi Vin, Thanks for the reply. The problem I face is that Rosemary simply won't survive winters that usually see at least a couple subzero (Fahrenheit) days in a normal winter. Many grow Rosemary as an annual around here. The thrifty (el-cheapo ;) ) streak in me wants to keep them going longer.
1. What exactly are you growing Rosemary for, i.e. are you wanting to make a bonsai or are you just using it as a herb?
Both. Originally I grew it for use in cooking. I became interested in Bonsai last year so I look at the stuff I grow and wonder "could it be trained and grown in a small pot?" ;) Google confirms that others have done this.
2. Do you have access to a grow light or is a sunny window your only option?
I coudl add artificial lighting if that would insure survival.
3. How "cool" is your basement?
That part of the basement probably ranges from 45°-65° depending on outside conditions.
4. Why are you planting it in the ground? Are you trying to thicken the trunk?
The ones that go in the ground are part of my herb garden. Chief advantage of that is that they won't require further attention once established.
5. How short is your Summer growing season?
I wouldn't call it short. Average last frost is mid April and first is mid October. We had some frost yesterday morning and the morning before. Rosemary is probably safe in the ground from March through November.

Thanks!

Same here Hank, of course with same problems. I keep them outside all the season and in a cold room (2-10℃) in winter. Winter survival rate is two of three. I 've found important keep it well watered in growing season and on a dryer side in winter. As for repotting, it's really a bet. Probably best in spring when a plant starts growing.

I can't understand how our grand mothers could keep rosemarys happy...

I can't understand how our grand mothers could keep rosemarys happy...

After reading about these here I'm terrified of cutting mine even for dinner now. :p

I do nothing to the plants in the garden, I mean aside from taking a bit for meals every now and then. They get little water even in the summer, grow in crappy alkaline soil, were stepped on by builders and have never looked better. Not bad for two little tubs from the supermarket. I have always considered rosemary tough as guts, then again I have never touched the roots before.
We get wild rosemary here but honestly if they are touch and go on survival they are probably not worth digging for the sake of the plant if nothing else..

... ...But I got some wiring practice:)
Plus some dried herb for your barbecue roast steaks and any Mediterranean dishes you might cook! :)
You can also put some of those leaves into a small jar of pure olive oil with some garlic and have a nice aromatic oil for your salads.

Back
Top Bottom