Help With Newly Acquired Rosemary (R. officinalis) Bonsai

Omar

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I haven't been able to find very much literature online but the little I did find said these guys don't take well to transplantation. I can now attest to that. This plant came to me ~3 weeks ago in a large bucket with a tiny little hole at the bottom in poor, pest infested soil. I didn't take any before pictures but so many of the roots had rotted away that I pruned a decent amount, as well as some of the foliage. I repotted into a colander with a mix comprising mostly of pumice/akadama with some pine bark and a little lava and charcoal.

It's now indoors for the winter in my greenhouse. I've been watering with collected rain water and supplementing with Rhizotonic and micro nutrients. I was contemplating taking a little organic fertilizer, grounding it up and sprinkling it on the soil like I do with my other plants but I've seen so many conflicting ideas on fertilizing after repotting that I'm holding off for now. About 3 weeks later it's not looking too cheery and I'd sincerely appreciate any advice on recovery in species that have a strong aversion to repotting/root pruning. I know the idea of rosemary as bonsai sounds a little ridiculous but with that gnarly trunk and ability to sustain deadwood features I was absolutely determined to try. If it pulls through I'd love to one day end up with a nice little shohin sized tree.

20161210_090122.jpg20161210_085614.jpg20161210_090154.jpg

Last edited:
Well, you've done what you've done so all you can do is move forward. It's only been three weeks so I honestly think you're expecting a little too much too soon. I'd stop with all the additives and just water it until spring. You are correct about Rosemary not liking their roots messed with. However, my experience has been if you take it slow they will except root work. Treat them like you would treat a Juniper and never bare root them. Rosemary thrive in an organic soil mix. A 50/50 mix is ideal. If you have any organic fines try sprinkling a few tablespoons on your existing soil and water them in a few times a week for the next couple of weeks.

You have a very nice example to work with and I'd hate to see it die on you. Good luck!

Rosemary 10.16.2016.JPG

I would expect it will sulk thru the winter, and if you're lucky will pick back up in the spring. Just don't do anything else to it, I'd take Vin's advice.
What type of greenhouse is it in? A warm environment, or just a cold storage room? If you give it bottom heat that might be good, a seedling heat mat could give it a bit of extra help.

Wicked trunk!

Sorce

Well, you've done what you've done so all you can do is move forward. It's only been three weeks so I honestly think you're expecting a little too much too soon. I'd stop with all the additives and just water it until spring. You are correct about Rosemary not liking their roots messed with. However, my experience has been if you take it slow they will except root work. Treat them like you would treat a Juniper and never bare root them. Rosemary thrive in an organic soil mix. A 50/50 mix is ideal. If you have any organic fines try sprinkling a few tablespoons on your existing soil and water them in a few times a week for the next couple of weeks.

You have a very nice example to work with and I'd hate to see it die on you. Good luck!

View attachment 125617

Sounds good thanks very much Vin.

Reactions: Vin
I would expect it will sulk thru the winter, and if you're lucky will pick back up in the spring. Just don't do anything else to it, I'd take Vin's advice.
What type of greenhouse is it in? A warm environment, or just a cold storage room? If you give it bottom heat that might be good, a seedling heat mat could give it a bit of extra help.

It's indoors in one of those cheap portable greenhouses that I fitted with T5 lights and a small fan, keeps my tropicals happy in the winter. Temp is ~28 C, humidity stays between 60 - 75%.

Thank you all for your encouraging feedback.

Attachments

• 20161211_123111.jpg
    20161211_123111.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 98
I would think that adding bottom heat could aid in recovery. I use it as a medicinal for trees that have suspected root issues.

28 C is roughly 82 F, nice & warm, should start growing in a few more weeks. A hea t pad would speed that up, but it will also make watering critical. It will dry out quick on a heat pad.
agreed, you have to watch things more carefully.

Not that easy to grow, especially in your climate.

Here, they grow naturally in the Mediterranean area. Though they have been acclimated to northern parts of France, a cold frame/greenhouse is usually necessary for a potted plant. Just watched the news about snow storms in N-E America, and it wouldn't survive if left outside I think.

Be ready to re-design it when branches die back...

But let's be optimistic, here's a small one owned by a club member. And it flowers!

20160411015047-544aa63a-me.jpg

I would think that keeping it warm this winter is a good idea to aid it's recovery from the work you did, but if it makes it to next winter keep it in a cooler location.

I asked about rosemary at a winter care talk at New England Bonsai Gardens this fall, and Teddi said that it's important they get a rest period but don't freeze. She said staying cool is more important that receiving a lot of direct light.

My own experience seems to bear this out - -years back I had a rosemary that I kept with my tropicals successfully for one winter, but the next year it died before winter was over. I've provided my current rosemary with a good winter chill for the past few years and it's still going strong.

Laura

it's important they get a rest period but don't freeze. She said staying cool is more important that receiving a lot of direct light.
I agree 100%. Mine regain vigor as Fall and Winter set in. North Florida gets into the 30's, 20's and even the teens occasionally. Mine never skip a beat. However, if freezing temperatures were forecast for several days I would provide some protection just to be safe.

In full ground I find they deal with -10C without trouble. Trick to wintersurvival seems to be to not trim after late summer. Since we stopped trimming in fall, our hedgerows are thriving, not at 4 feet tall. These hedgerows get a trim in early august and look fluffy till may, when I trim them again.

In full ground I find they deal with -10C without trouble. Trick to wintersurvival seems to be to not trim after late summer. Since we stopped trimming in fall, our hedgerows are thriving, not at 4 feet tall. These hedgerows get a trim in early august and look fluffy till may, when I trim them again.
Rosemary hedge in Germany, really? I like it.

agreed, you have to watch things more carefully.

I'm a little apprehensive about doing this as the soil already dries out too quickly for my liking with the mix I used.

I would think that keeping it warm this winter is a good idea to aid it's recovery from the work you did, but if it makes it to next winter keep it in a cooler location.

I asked about rosemary at a winter care talk at New England Bonsai Gardens this fall, and Teddi said that it's important they get a rest period but don't freeze. She said staying cool is more important that receiving a lot of direct light.

My own experience seems to bear this out - -years back I had a rosemary that I kept with my tropicals successfully for one winter, but the next year it died before winter was over. I've provided my current rosemary with a good winter chill for the past few years and it's still going strong.

Laura

That's really good to know thank you Laura. I would've done exactly what you did and kept it with the tropicals.

It's sad to hear that. :(

I'm just starting to work on 8 of them. Bought them last year, stayed untouched so far , but their medium is no more than a regular garden soil so i have to change it now.
I was hoping that you'll come with good news but...

Do you advice any tips about repotting?
My climate is very good for them by the way. I'm in Mediterranean coast and they can grow even in wild. It will be very hot after about a month from now.

Thanks and wish u a good luck on your trees.

Back
Top Bottom