Diary of a Noob

kodiac

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice trees don't over think things. You don't always have to play by the rules. As far as overwintering I've had good luck with planting in ground and completely covering with snow or an unheated garage/shed.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Loved reading this as I’m about a year behind you in the journey and it was fun reading the thread and seeing many of the same steps taken. Fun seeing the same passion I am experiencing develop in another. Good luck with everything and keep the updates coming!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Loved reading this as I’m about a year behind you in the journey and it was fun reading the thread and seeing many of the same steps taken.
Man, I was reading this and felt very much the same. Read through the whole thread about to post basically the same thought.

I wonder if you've looked into doing some lessons or woskshops with local bonsai folk. it seems like you've connected with the local bonsai club, so might be some people there doing such things. Some of my classes with my teacher have effectively been just doing stuff I already needed to do (such as wiring, pruning, repotting) and getting live feedback on it. It's been immensely helpful!

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Man, I was reading this and felt very much the same. Read through the whole thread about to post basically the same thought.

I wonder if you've looked into doing some lessons or woskshops with local bonsai folk. it seems like you've connected with the local bonsai club, so might be some people there doing such things. Some of my classes with my teacher have effectively been just doing stuff I already needed to do (such as wiring, pruning, repotting) and getting live feedback on it. It's been immensely helpful!
I have done workshop at the state show over a year ago. If it didn’t make it in the thread I will add it. I wish I had time to join the club but with a toddler at home and another baby on the way it’s just not in the cards right now. I hope to do a workshop again next year where you bring your own tree to work on. By the time I went to sign up this year it was booked. The other trouble with that is it’s always Mother’s Day weekend unfortunately. Thanks for the input and I’ll definitely keep the updates rolling.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought this cedar almost a year ago and thinned it a bit. It hadn’t really inspired me to work on it but the wind kept knocking it off my bench. I finally decided to just go for it. I’m not in love with it but at least it seems worth looking at now and gave me some good practice pruning and wiring. Here’s the before and after.
IMG_4808.jpegIMG_4812.jpeg

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I figured I should link the thread about air layers to this beginners diary.

Thread 'Watering air layers?'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/watering-air-layers.60544/

Hopefully other beginners can glean some wisdom from here in the future. I have a new baby coming in December so we will see how much work gets done on my collection in the next growing season.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
this next growing season might be tough, but maybe you'll get an apprentice out of it!

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
As the growing season is winding down I’ve taken stock of my collection and am overall pleased with where it’s headed. I might add to my collection if something draws my interest at the local club show vendors next weekend. I also realized this tree didn’t have its own progression thread so I made one today.

Thread 'Not bad for a box store juniper'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/not-bad-for-a-box-store-juniper.62068/

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Three years in and I’m quite pleased where my collection is. I have been lately and will continue to be much more selective with my new trees moving forward. The one new thing I did this year with success was perform 3 air layers. My benches are pretty close to full and there are two more small tables not pictured. At this time my collection includes 5 maples, 5 pines, 6 junipers, 2 spruce, 1 hinoki cypress, 1 cedar, and 1 ficus.
IMG_5296.jpeg
Today I tucked them in for winter and in the coming days will finish the wind screen and add the mulch. I might have been able to wait a bit longer but with a new baby due in 6 weeks and holidays on the horizon it had to get done today.
IMG_5361.jpeg

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With a larger collection I needed an upgrade from the burlap. I opted for an 8x10 tarp that I cut in half then duct taped the cut edge in hopes to preserve it. Finally topped off with mulch per usual. I realized today though I buried some pots too close to the lip of the pot and quite a bit of dirt had made its way in. I won’t make that mistake next year.
IMG_5386.jpeg

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
First repot of the year and first bare root I’ve done. I was pretty happy with the lateral to spread except for the one side that had a very thick downward growing root I cut off.
IMG_6437.jpeg
IMG_6436.jpegIMG_6439.jpeg
I’m trying to decide how to handle the cold nights coming up with this Japanese maple. The first night it spent in the attached garage. The other options are the shed and just setting it on the ground. I have about 9 more trees to repot in the coming weeks so not really wanting to shuffle them in and out all the time if I don’t have too.
IMG_6447.png

Top Bottom