Zelkova

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am wondering about Zelkova bud break (see pic). This tree is new to me about 3 weeks or so from local seller. I am Wondering if this is start of bud breaking? All other trees were much easier to tell and done but this seems much later. Any help with this species appreciated as I would like to get it in a known soil.

Attachments

• IMG_8659.jpeg
    IMG_8659.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 46

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Or close enough. Trees can be repotted well before 'bud break' so no need to get too worried about the correct day(s)
Zelkova is one of the last species to bud in spring. So many newer growers think their trees have died because all the other deciduous have leaves and the zelkova is still bare.

Jrmcmich

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for help. I was somewhat concerned but still looked ok so figured it was alive.

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Or close enough. Trees can be repotted well before 'bud break' so no need to get too worried about the correct day(s)
Zelkova is one of the last species to bud in spring. So many newer growers think their trees have died because all the other deciduous have leaves and the zelkova is still bare.
Interestingly my seedlings were one of the first except for one of them which is 3-4 weeks later.

Top Bottom