Best time to det up ait layers on japaneese maples and zelkova? (In the US)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
Not sure exact lingo/terminology so bare with me. Please. Zone5/6 Indiana, wondering when best time to ?"ring the bark/cut away to cambium) 1 to 2 inches and then remove that ring to airlayer in that spot . Couldn't remeber and been ill recently so lacking strength atm to research much so hoping placing a post might suffice . Couldn't remember if its done as buds are breaking or if after first flush of growth is hardening (ie now with buds or mid /late spring or more like early ,mid, or late summer?) On japaneese maples and zelkova serrata species.)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I generally start layers after leaves harden off but I’m trying a couple at bud break this year to see how that goes. I added a link to herons air layering master class video. Great tips and techniques there.
ty i hadnt watched any of thier videos yet ill check it out . ty always

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
I generally start layers after leaves harden off but I’m trying a couple at bud break this year to see how that goes. I added a link to herons air layering master class video. Great tips and techniques there.
i wonder what cultivar that japeneese maple at 10:20 in video on the left is . really pretty stripped variegation

Top Bottom