Young JBP advice to start a good shohin

SaltySea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've got this young JBP that has been growing from seed for 3 - 4 years (I seem to have lost my records in when I started it) and I'd like to create a nice shohin tree out of it.

So far I've just let it grow but I wonder if now is the time to focus on a sacrifice branch? I'm not overly confident or experienced with JBP. My idea so far is;

- remove the two side branches in the yellow circle (please see second picture)
- cut all but the largest candle in the green circle. There are currently 4 candles growing

I'd like to know if I should pluck any needles anywhere to help direct the growth? My thoughts so far are in the yellow circle.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• PXL_20240130_180511985.jpg
    PXL_20240130_180511985.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 78
  • PXL_20240130_180511985~2.jpg
    PXL_20240130_180511985~2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetings and Welcome Aboard Bonsai Nut!

Perhaps the very best resource on this topic seen yet is the online year by year course Master Shohin Black Pine by @Eric Schrader. It’s 75.00 normally, but there is a 10% discount at this time.

Best dollars I spent on a JBP resource ever!

PS please click icon and account details, then scroll down to enter your approximate location and USDA Plant hardiness zone. This information really helps us help you.

cheers
DSD sends

SaltySea

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Perhaps the very best resource on this topic seen yet is the online year by year course Master Shohin Black Pine by @Eric Schrader. It’s 75.00 normally, but there is a 10% discount at this time.

PS please click icon and account details, then scroll down to enter your approximate location and USDA Plant hardiness zone. This information really helps us help you.

cheers
DSD sends
Hi DSD,

Thank you for the tip. I've added my location and USDA zone now. I've not posted much so completely missed that.

The course on JBP looks great but it's slightly out of my budget at the moment. I have been following Eric on YouTube though and enjoy his videos.

Thank you again.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I would certainly remove the branches and most of the needles from the yellow area to reduce competition to the shoots you really need below. Leave some needles just below the yellow circle in case you need more new shoots down there.
Leaving all the buds and needles in the green area will give you more growth up there and therefore more thickening but keep an eye on the lower shoots through spring. If they get weaker I chop the sacrifice in favour of the low shoots. Thin trunk with stronger low shoots is far more useful than a thicker bare trunk IMHO.

horibonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It depends on your goal with the tree. The second is which one you want to be the leader. If you want a Shohin tree, remove the branches circle in yellow and buds in green. You would also need to reduce the needles on top. If you want a larger tree, rewire the trunk and bend more of the top. You will still need to thin out the branches but will need other bud development higher in the tree to develop more branches. In both scenarios, you need to reduce the top and thin out the needles on the top portion of the tree.

stewarjm192

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

cheers
DSD sends
im here to second this post

Top Bottom