You can only grow one species of bonsai!?

@Japonicus if you believe in life after life, then yes. If you don't, but think that it's a fun thought, then still yes.
But.. as Cher would question; Do you believe in life after love? ;)

I haven’t been doing this that long.. and have yet to work with MANY of the species I “admire from afar”

It’s a loaded scenario/question... and the hypothetical parameters seem concretely set...

I was originally going to answer similarly to Penumbra with an “If I had to pick only one specie.. I don’t think I’d be doing this.”-type answer.

I guess of all the trees I have and have worked with.. so far.. not realizing even the FULL spectrum of any of my trees (as they have not been with me enough time/seasons).. I enjoy the “give and take” of my Elaeagnus the most at this particular point.. this will undoubtedly change.. as my love for Ulmus grows.

I almost said Serissa, as well.

🤓

I am just a beginner, but maybe deshojo or trident maple

I’d say Japanese maple because they are seasonal, grow relatively quickly and you can enjoy a lot of actually “doing bonsai” with these but spruces are just too cool to not have on your bench

Nice try, I specified only one species OR cultivar. No loopholes here

@cmeg1 @Brian Van Fleet @AZbonsai good choices

all three have fine leaves/needles and can create convincing trees at almost any size. Shimpaku lacks the seasonal beauty of the other two but will make up for it with variability in the trunks between each tree

Well darn. Missed the cultivar part. Still going JM - probably standard green.

This game is not for me. I am out. Even in my worst nightmares i can choose at least three different species.
be very carefull there. I heard the consequences are dear..

since you have failed to choose, you get the gun...

Well darn. Missed the cultivar part. Still going JM - probably standard green.
That's as close as it gets to a loophole. You can take seed off any JM cultivar you like and technically they are just the regular species once they sprout.

Green JM was one of my finalists, glad I didn't have to pick

Back
Top Bottom