Yatsubusa Elm Question

Noh_Body

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7 B
Brooklyn, Zone 7b

Ive noticed that all the new growth on my elm is curled. The leaves are rolled up. The have yet to unfurl. despite two weeks or so in that state. It continuing to grow and push lots of new growth but it doesn't flatten out. I currently keep the elm in a greenhouse and the humidity has been high lately (despite fan ventilation). Any ideas/ suggestions?IMG_0608.JPG IMG_0614.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0615.JPG
    IMG_0615.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 12

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BROOKLYN!

Sorce

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
The Chinese elms in the parking lot at work are like that this year. I know they use roundup to keep the weeds down and have read that it will cause this but have no reliable evidence.

John

Noh_Body

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7 B
The Chinese elms in the parking lot at work are like that this year. I know they use roundup to keep the weeds down and have read that it will cause this but have no reliable evidence.

John

This could be a possibility. I applied a Bayer Systemic All in One about a month ago. May be related to that. I appreciate your feedback.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe Chinese Elms don't react well to systemic treatments. What led you to spray in the first place?
Hopefully it will recover!!

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
The active pesticide ingredient in the Bayer product is a neo-nicotinoid called imidacloprid. It is used on elm trees. I don't think it would do that. I don't know what the fungicide ingredient is. The last third of the three in one is fertilizer. Applied according to label I doubt it would do that but I have no other guess.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have never seen this on elm However leaf curl , I have seen in my vegetable gardens. Insecticide is a main culprit. Cold spring winds also can cause this, but I'm sure this is not the case in Brooklyn this week. Reaction to your greenhouse enviroment is another possibility. Have you treated other plants near the elm ?

Noh_Body

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7 B
I have never seen this on elm However leaf curl , I have seen in my vegetable gardens. Insecticide is a main culprit. Cold spring winds also can cause this, but I'm sure this is not the case in Brooklyn this week. Reaction to your greenhouse enviroment is another possibility. Have you treated other plants near the elm ?

I did treat other elms. No similar symptoms. They are however seiju elms.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This could be a possibility. I applied a Bayer Systemic All in One about a month ago. May be related to that. I appreciate your feedback.
Something similar happened to some elms and tridents at a bonsai collection I volunteer at after a similar product (it may have been the Bayer all in one) was applied. It occurred over 2 years ago and the leaves are still abnormal now...odd to say the least.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Researching a little further, chinese elms sometimes react adversly to systemic treatments. Effects, however, are usually restricted to leaf drop. Then with resultant new growth to follow should be fine.

Yours looks odd, is your soil too water retentive? Nodal length is a bit long, and new growth is stringy.
Is it getting enough sun?

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I did treat other elms. No similar symptoms. They are however seiju elms

For what it is worth-----My vegetable plant ,Tomato last year, showed no ill effects from the leaf curl. Flowered bloomed and grew fruit just like all the others. The leaves eventually looked more normal but still not like the others. Elm should be fine. However, I would not recommend further treatment with the Bayer.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the Bayer 3 in 1 product on all of my elms. I've never had this problem.
Put all elms in as much sun as you can give them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I say too hot and humid.

If it's too hot, they'll wilt, but if they are so wet from the outside...

What does your setup look like?

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I say too hot and humid.
If it's too hot, they'll wilt, but if they are so wet from the outside...
What does your setup look like?
Sorce
I also thought it was too warm, but why is it in a green house? Isn't that for tropicals?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shame on you, when you step to to...

Top Bottom