Yatsubusa elm from evergreen garden works. Some ideas to consider.

Looks awesome, Danny. I feel like you are always a couple of steps further down the path from me, which is encouraging because I think we are both seeing the benefits of steady, cautious optimism in our journey from our starts as rank amateurs! This tree shows excellent vision.

I like the fourth proposed front, by the way. It uses the trunk movement to best effect, conceals the middle straight section a little bit with foliage, and shows a nice view of the roots.

Photo 4 definitely has more trunk movement, based on that I would choose it over 1. Can't tell if there are other factors (such as surface roots) that would possibly swing the decision.

It's tough to compare pics 1 and 4 to 2 and 3 because of the different perspectives - the photos are different sizes and appear to be taken from different positions. In particular, in photo 2 the overall tree look shorter/more compact which makes that one attractive, but I think that might just be because of the photo. I don't know if you want to re-take the photos all from the same viewpoint (using a tripod helps with this) which would make it easier to evaluate.

Nice work overall, good use of the early cut-back to redesign the tree essentially from scratch.

I agree the @coh. # 4 has the best movement and also shows the best side of the base.

#1 shows a very straight section of trunk so is less ideal.

The other two seem more like the back of the tree

Looks awesome, Danny. I feel like you are always a couple of steps further down the path from me, which is encouraging because I think we are both seeing the benefits of steady, cautious optimism in our journey from our starts as rank amateurs! This tree shows excellent vision.

I like the fourth proposed front, by the way. It uses the trunk movement to best effect, conceals the middle straight section a little bit with foliage, and shows a nice view of the roots.
Thanks so much for saying. It’s def coming along. I will say also, there are some days I feel so good about my progression and others where I’m like, “why the F did I just do that??” Haha. But I up to this point have absolutely loved my struggle in this art and am happy with my progress. Some may say I should be further along with almost 10 years in, but the last few years in particular have been a bit of a breakthrough.

Photo 4 definitely has more trunk movement, based on that I would choose it over 1. Can't tell if there are other factors (such as surface roots) that would possibly swing the decision.

It's tough to compare pics 1 and 4 to 2 and 3 because of the different perspectives - the photos are different sizes and appear to be taken from different positions. In particular, in photo 2 the overall tree look shorter/more compact which makes that one attractive, but I think that might just be because of the photo. I don't know if you want to re-take the photos all from the same viewpoint (using a tripod helps with this) which would make it easier to evaluate.

Nice work overall, good use of the early cut-back to redesign the tree essentially from scratch.
I agree the @coh. # 4 has the best movement and also shows the best side of the base.

#1 shows a very straight section of trunk so is less ideal.

The other two seem more like the back of the tree
Number is also my fave. Though number 1 was what the drawing was done from. Once the big cuts heal on the backside, I may have more options with from moving forward. I think by year 3 with this tree, the ramification will be much more convincing as well.

Thanks for the reply bnutters.

Thanks so much for saying. It’s def coming along. I will say also, there are some days I feel so good about my progression and others where I’m like, “why the F did I just do that??” Haha. But I up to this point have absolutely loved my struggle in this art and am happy with my progress. Some may say I should be further along with almost 10 years in, but the last few years in particular have been a bit of a breakthrough.

Man, I sure understand the struggle part. I am still waiting for a breakthrough, I think 😂. But that is what makes it so special.

Front #4!

@Hartinez Nice tree and game plan Danny!

The yatsubusa is right up there with corticosa in terms of bark texture. Below a detail of mine.

View attachment 394775
Oh wow! Thanks for the knowledge Sergio. I didn’t realize it barked up that much. But now that your posting your pic I know that tree of yours well!

Yes! They tend to be much more elongated than most other Chinese elms that are more oval. I actually quite like it.
I do to. It caught me off guard at first. But it provides such a unique look for an elm.

I noticed on my Seiju and even on my patio oaks that if I trim them a lot (like you did removing all the buds coming out except the ones you needed) the leaves tend to be on the longer side. This is my second year with the Seiju and I just left it untouched as I plan on planting it in the ground come next season to fatten it up some and the leaves are oval, but shorter with better proportion.

Back
Top Bottom