yamadori...... whats this tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Please help me identify this tree. It was collected a few weeks ago in the mountains near Colorado Springs. I believe it is a rocky mountain juniper, but im not sure if the foliage is right for that. here are a few picscolorado tree.JPGcolorado tree foliage.JPG

Looks more like Juniperus Horizontalis, or a form of Common Juniper. RMJ is a scale Juniper.
posted the same pics on bonsai talk facebook, several people seem to think its a type of spruce, similar to black hills spruce

posted the same pics on bonsai talk facebook, several people seem to think its a type of spruce, similar to black hills spruce
It definitely is not Spruce. Facebook is a lousy place to have bonsai discussions in general. Unless you know who it is you are talking with you are likely to get ignorant answers.

Judging by the size and bark texture I would agree on the juniper, but I dont know the exact species, these are pretty common through Colorado. I'm pretty sure that Juniperus horizontalis is also a scale type. I would lean toward the lines of Juniperus communis.

most of the wild juniper out here in colorado look like trash honestly. further into the mountains they look alright, but foothills stuff usually looks about like this, maybe a bit nicer, but not by much

I’m almost certain it is J. Communis. They stay spiked, and I’ve found them harder to collect than other junipers we have around here. It’s definitely not J. Horozontalis. They are a scale juniper that live around here too.

It appears to be a very stressed juniper if it is alive at all. I am a bit surprised no one has commented on this.
It is not uncommon for a freshly collected Juniper to look pretty sad for a year or two after collecting but you are right it does not look good.

most of the wild juniper out here in colorado look like trash honestly. further into the mountains they look alright, but foothills stuff usually looks about like this, maybe a bit nicer, but not by much

LOL! You’re hiking in the wrong spots, buddy.

It is a Juniperus communis. In the Rockies, they grow in thick, low mats. Now that it's been pulled out of the thicket and will get good sun exposure and after care, it may do well, if it has a viable root mass.

Do you have it in akadama? I’ve heard that communis don’t like it. Probably the only tree that doesn’t.

Communis are notoriously fussy about being collected according to the sources I have read. That of course does not mean you will fail with this tree it depends on a lot of things that we really cannot understand, blaming it on akadama is only one of them.

Besides all of mine.
Interesting. Glad it’s working for you. I only mentioned it because there was a soil seminar at my club and that was the one tree that everyone kept saying akadama was god for most trees, except communis. I can’t speak from experience on the species, not so common in the places I’ve lived.

Back
Top Bottom