Yamadori in the U.S.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Just some local ex- club members , one studies with Ryan neil and was president of the greater louisville bonsai.society . The club was made up of a bunch of bickering , grumpy ole men ( not ment to offend anyone here haha,but really it was pretty ridiculous every meeting was just arguing over bullshit so we hit the trail. we started a study group, will be hosting a number of pros and attending shows all over the US.

That is awesome. Happy collection season. I'm definitely excited to see your trees. If you sell any big trees, I'd be interested. I'd drive down for a pick up.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is awesome. Happy collection season. I'm definitely excited to see your trees. If you sell any big trees, I'd be interested. I'd drive down for a pick up.

Awesome ! Yes the majority of them will be quite large ! We're in the 60's all weekend and up to the 70's next week, crazy ! Usually it's ice storms , so I have a feeling it won't be too much longer , I didn't have my camera when I flagged the first set of trees this winter , but I will absolutely update during and after the collection.

I have a book somewhere , I'll have to find it , with some very old pictures of collectors in Japan many years ago hanging off of mountains pulling trees out, with a rope tied around them, it stated that many never made it back . These trees they were getting were ones that collectors would drool over but would pass by , it's a very cool picture I will share it when I find ! I've done the same.thing for years , drooling over them while fishing , finally decided to bite the bullet .

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have at least a dozen Pacific Yew, Taxus brevifolia, that I will be collecting this spring. As soon as this snow gets out of my way I'll begin digging. I have found many sizes, everything from six inches up to three to four feet tall and pencil size up to six inches diameter. I'll show them when I get them in a container. I'm working between three and four thousand feet elevation and it's raining now and I can get to the lower ones and work my way up the mountain.

An open invitation to any B-nutters who want to make the trip to come and dig your own. Also, lots of nice Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine, Azalea and Vine Maples, miscellaneous others.

Got to get down there to at least look and visit this Spring or Summer Rick. Couldn't make it last year;). My loss:(!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I say that I don't want to buy any trees but if I could find Yamadori like this Scots Pine from Kaizen in England for 1000 eu. Anyone know of where Pine material of this kind of quality is for sale in the US? It's always greener on the other side I suppose.

Randy Knight collects some of the best. Have 2 greats from him:D. Also some of these make way to Natures Way Bonsai(or Nursery)by way of Walter Pall no less;).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I want to say about Yamadori collecting in the U.S. I think that collecting for profit is a slippery slope. It needs to be handled really carefully. Big beautiful one of a kind specimens should be only collected after alot of consideration. Also I think if someone finds a really good area they should consider only taking one or two trees. Look what happened in Japan to the native Shimpakus.

This post is to no one in particular just something I have been thinking about. I am going to stop my search for buying nice collected trees and focus on just collecting for myself and my small garden. I may sell a random few but it would just be because I would like to make some room in my garden. To be clear if someone is out collecting some 3'' diameter trunk 20 year old Scots Pine I don't really have any issue with that. I'm talking about the realllly old special ones.

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Wonderful past few years , bad flooding messes it up sometimes but it's been fun ! Best part is you can fish all day and not see another boat . But we're fishing lake tournaments alot so its a treat to go to the river and fish

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
I say that I don't want to buy any trees but if I could find Yamadori like this Scots Pine from Kaizen in England for 1000 eu. Anyone know of where Pine material of this kind of quality is for sale in the US? It's always greener on the other side I suppose.
Did you find a tree for yourself?

Made my first purchase of 2017 from Alvaro at chobonsaiyamadori.com

Attachments

• 4625.jpeg
    4625.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nice, I really like it. What kind of Juniper is it? Maybe a Literati?

I have not found a tree but for now I am thinking I will work with local species and collect one myself.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Alvaro I'd
Nice, I really like it. What kind of Juniper is it? Maybe a Literati?

I have not found a tree but for now I am thinking I will work with local species and collect one myself.
That is an ashe juniper. Alvaro collects awesome trees, he's also on here as @arcina if you want to contact him.

Aaron

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Yes I keep as a bunjin.
Alvaro at chobonsaiyamadori collected the tree.

I wanted a tree further in the development stage to work this year as most are raw stock collected trees or first styling stage.

Alvaro has quality trees at extremely reasonable pricing.

reddog

Mame
Reaction score
Randy Knight collects some of the best. Have 2 greats from him:D. Also some of these make way to Natures Way Bonsai(or Nursery)by way of Walter Pall no less;).
Randy does collect some of the best. Please share pic's of the greats you have from him.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Randy does collect some of the best. Please share pic's of the greats you have from him.
I want to add a few Randy Knight trees to my collection. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him, but I want to contact him and add a big twisted tree!

Top Bottom