2 year yamadori?

Reaction score
Hi Nuts!

I recently acquired this collected California juniper that’s been collected 2 years ago. It was shipped to me from SoCal and has been in my possession for about 1 month. Its health has been slowly declining since I got it and was recommended to move it from 100% pumice to a mix. It has since it’s been repotted in a mix of akadama, pumice, and lava rock. Currently it’s in morning sun and being watered 1x/day. I’m in zone 9a in NorCal. Any ideas of what to do next? I was told by the person who repotted it for me about 2 weeks ago was to keep it in the morning sun for about a month and then give it full sun. I’ve attached some before and after pictures. Any help for my first yamadori material would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6674.jpeg
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_6753.jpeg
    IMG_6753.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6755.jpeg
    IMG_6755.jpeg
    247.3 KB · Views: 128
That’s a cool tree!
I hope you can revive it.
Who recommended it to be replanted?
Pumice should be just fine as long as the tree is watered correctly, and the tree is fed.

Emergency repots on unhealthy plants are risky in my understanding.

Cali junipers are big babies when it comes to repotting. If your technique is poor, its almost certain portions of the tree will die. I repot Cali junipers from late January to early March, so I'm not too sure if the decline on your tree is due to repot timing/aftercare or technique.

In any case, I wouldn't touch the tree for a while. It needs to reestablish. Leave it in one spot and try not to move it because you can damage any new or fine roots. It's fine to see a few branches die off, the tree will bounce back. The soil mix is fine too so I don't see a need for an emergency repot into pure pumice. The only thing we need to watch is overwatering.

With the before picture, the tree looked healthy enough to be put into an actual bonsai pot, is there a reason why it was repotted into a nursery can?

I hate to say it but that tree is probably toast.
I have some that faded in the same way… gradually fading in color then getting crispy.
Maybe 100% shade and hope for the best.
I’d mist but not water too much

Man bummer. It was recommend to repot it from a member whom I trust. I guess it will be a live and learn moment and get material that’s better established.

Yeah, junipers are hard because they are really alluring with interesting forms and deadwood… but tricksters as well. Ive had multiple collected trees look good and green for a year then over a week or so just drain of color and dry out.
It seam to happen to me transitioning between winter and spring, when l start thinking about future plans for the tree😂
Keep at it!

Back
Top Bottom