Wulfskaar's Bald Cypress

Yeah, mine’s looking like that here in Southern California. Looking forward to selecting branches and repotting in a few months.

Seems like you’re about a full month behind me. If yours behaves like mine, it goes blood red before the needles drop!

All the leaves have gone bronze and are just starting to fall off.

View attachment 520254
Cool tree, you're making me want to dip a toe into the bald cypress world.

I still have to do a double take everytime I see one late in the year. The color of the leaves looks just like a neglected, dead juniper or pine and I'm just not used to seeing it.

Cool tree, you're making me want to dip a toe into the bald cypress world.

I still have to do a double take everytime I see one late in the year. The color of the leaves looks just like a neglected, dead juniper or pine and I'm just not used to seeing it.
I never really wanted one until I saw this and got it for my b-day. So far, it's been easy to take care of and hasn't had any bug or disease issues like a lot of my other trees have in my area. I would recommend giving one a try.

Yeah, it looks like it's dead, but touching the actual leaves, they are still nice and soft and not crunchy at all.

Me too! I also have two young Dawn Redwoods in a similar situation... Little surprising to see leaves fall off that I thought were branches.

Poking out a bit more...

I do have a question... Do I want to remove buds that are not a part of my wanted branches to put more energy working toward what I want,
or is it best to let them grow wild and prune later, which continues to thicken the trunk?

IMG_20240307_103337.jpg

Poking out a bit more...

I do have a question... Do I want to remove buds that are not a part of my wanted branches to put more energy working toward what I want,
or is it best to let them grow wild and prune later, which continues to thicken the trunk?

View attachment 532392
Past pictures showed your tree is healthy but not super vigorous. I would keep the buds and prune the unwanted branches late summer.

Poking out a bit more...

View attachment 532392
Keep in mind, it is the leaves that drive energy, so reducing foliage mass may allow some concentration on remaining branches, it lowers the total available energy to the tree.

Back
Top Bottom