Woe is Me, Old Man Winter - 1, John - Zero

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well, I am really down. In the mad rush to get my cold sensitive trees inside last week for the big chill, I missed one. It is one of my best ficus neriflora, and one that has been with me from the beginning. It survived my inexperience in bonsai, a couple of repottings by squirrels, and even the ex-wife, only to be frozen by me. I suck!!!

Before:

DSC09661-1.jpg

After:

20150112_172328-1.jpg
20150112_172304-1.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mello, seeing as how the base was wrapped that may be enough for it to come back. As long as the base did not freeze it may be alive.

ed

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That sucks! I had a huge ficus about ten years ago that got hit by frost. I cut it down to the trunk; everything. When summer hit it came back with a vengeance. You probably know that but I thought I'd show you some comfort. :)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Thanks for the support guys, I am hoping that the soil around the trunk provided enough insulation that it did not freeze. It really sucks though as I had spent a couple of years getting some nice branches and ramification and this year it was going into a pot and the plastic was coming off. I guess it is back to the drawing board.

John

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Like Mike said give it a while and see if you can save the base. I am sorry to hear this though...

I have the same thing happen from time to time here in Vegas but it is temperature spikes that get me. Usually it is in the fall when the trees are back in growth phase (we have two growing seasons and two dormant seasons here) we will get a spike back up over 110 and single digit humidity and I will have a tree go from perfectly healthy in the morning to completely dehydrated tree jerky by that evening...

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Hope your nerifolia comes back. I found nerifolia is less cold tolerant than microcarpa. I just posted a thread in general discussion on protecting tropical bonsai using a plastic greenhouse and radiant heater. The set up costs me about $200. Its worth the investment in the long run. Loosing a tree is too painful.

https://bonsaipenjing.wordpress.com

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will live, and you will like it better!

Sorce

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like Mike said give it a while and see if you can save the base. I am sorry to hear this though...

I have the same thing happen from time to time here in Vegas but it is temperature spikes that get me. Usually it is in the fall when the trees are back in growth phase (we have two growing seasons and two dormant seasons here) we will get a spike back up over 110 and single digit humidity and I will have a tree go from perfectly healthy in the morning to completely dehydrated tree jerky by that evening...[/QUOTE]

I love this description , lol.

ed

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is why out of 150 or so trees I only have three tropicals; a buttonwood, retusa and cape honeysuckle. Hopefully, I'll find a home for the buttonwood this summer and that will be it for me. Two is plenty.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hopefully it manages to survive. I would take all the dead leaves off and try to get it some warmth in the root zone using a heat mat. Good luck.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It got down into the twenties on the first night, stayed it the forties during the day and then below freezing the next night. I had moved all of the other trees in and this was the last one, got side tracked and forgot it. The upper trunk and branches have a mushy feel to them and the leaves are dead. I will put it into ICU and see what happens.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Bring it in for the rest of the winter. Put it in a sunny location, if possible. Give it very little water (totally dry before you water). As soon as temps stay above 40 put it out in the sun and keep on being miserly with water, but no longer totally dry. Nurse into mid summer. At that point if there are no leaves, it likely is gone. They are tougher than their reputation.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Feel for you...I'm watering a rosemary my negligence caused similar consequences. Watering what looks like a dead tree when it's dries out. Fingers crossed yours shows life come summer...mine are crossed for my own as well.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm glad it lived.
Can't wait to see what's under all that.
Willow leaf ficus are my very favorite.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
It's the real Cousin Itt! Looking happy.

Yes it is, I have Uncle Fester and Morticia on the other bench.:cool:

I'm glad it lived.
Can't wait to see what's under all that.
Willow leaf ficus are my very favorite.

Thanks, I will post pictures when I prune it. Would you like some cuttings? Between this and the forest, I will have a wheel barrow load. I even have a few cuttings that have rooted that I don't have any plans for.

John

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom