Winter IS coming, start preparing

26F at my house. I opted to leave mine where they are except moved the little baby mugo onto my porch next to the crape myrtle. We’ll see how everything fared!

Here in the Buffalo/Rochester NY area temps dipped into the low 20s F last night. Temps staying that way during the day and dropping into the teens tonight. Then back up into the 30s & 40s. Trees moved into the garage last night and then will come back out on Sunday.

Temps dropping, the winds are whippin'... Yup, time to move & protect the "children".

Hit 17F over night, and has been snowing for at least five hours. Not rally sticking as frouns is still warm.

All treesinto the ungrateful attached garage last night. Will warm up later, and move them back out.

Trees looking like this now. image.jpg
Spent some time with a pointy stick trying to work the snow through canopies to the ground. Otherwise there is a void down there and trees themselves have to support the snowpack leading to potential breakage. Even worse that ground level snow cave is an attractive winter house for rodents. Usually small early season snowfalls make this quite easy to get done progressively, this year barfed down a good two footer right off the bat with more coming so not so easy to do it well. image.jpg
More wood to support snow load and deflect any roofalanches that run further than normal. I'm resolved to build a better safer house next year, this is ridiculous. It has worked well for many years but too much potential for problems, too much wondering and worrying over winter.
This is just for the smaller more developed trees, big boxed stuff piled under snow, developing deciduous buried branches and all in pumice. Not too worried about it hat stuff, seems to always do just fine. image.jpgLarger trees under here. image.jpg

Trees looking like this now. View attachment 166638
Spent some time with a pointy stick trying to work the snow through canopies to the ground. Otherwise there is a void down there and trees themselves have to support the snowpack leading to potential breakage. Even worse that ground level snow cave is an attractive winter house for rodents. Usually small early season snowfalls make this quite easy to get done progressively, this year barfed down a good two footer right off the bat with more coming so not so easy to do it well. View attachment 166640
More wood to support snow load and deflect any roofalanches that run further than normal. I'm resolved to build a better safer house next year, this is ridiculous. It has worked well for many years but too much potential for problems, too much wondering and worrying over winter.
This is just for the smaller more developed trees, big boxed stuff piled under snow, developing deciduous buried branches and all in pumice. Not too worried about it hat stuff, seems to always do just fine. View attachment 166641Larger trees under here. View attachment 166650
Here's hopin for a huge ski season! Been awhile for us in the east to have a solid snow year.

For anyone who is interested, we created a Wintering megathread over on the /r/bonsai sub on reddit. It's going to turn into a wiki article, so feel free to add anything we've missed. Or just read through it for tips if you need them.

For those who are getting a freeze tonight and tomorrow, good luck! I rearranged all my trees today, and will need to do the two-step on Sunday to bring them all back out again. Usually I do that in March/April, not November!!

:mad:Scrambled and got all mine in the garage and cold frame

Stupid weather....

My protection this evening consisted of:

-all deciduous on the ground
-a few sensitive trees in the shed
-nice trident put in the shed last minute as I saw how rapidly things were freezing up and that it would likely get well into the teens tonight. Decided not to risk root damage.

I have a fully leafed out yoshino cherry that is pre-bonsai material. I first checked it around 6:30 pm and the leaves looked perfect. Less than an hour, all the leaves were completely limp and turning black.

Woke up to 20F outside this morning, 27F in the shed... Will probably check the Satsuki(s) later, might need to go to the unheated attic area, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Grimmy

Trees start going back out today...conifers first. Get ready, back!

Tomorrow for some of mine, still in the 20's here. @coh do you have a back brace?

Tomorrow for some of mine, still in the 20's here. @coh do you have a back brace?
No...never really thought about it. I'm guessing you do? Is it a big help?

I don't have one, but I only have 3 really big guys. If I had more than that I'd sure think about it. Esp. if I was placing them on the ground. Its not so bad from bench to bench, but to the ground and back up is a hard lift, especially if there is limited space to use your legs like you should.

No...never really thought about it. I'm guessing you do? Is it a big help?

Its not so bad from bench to bench, but to the ground and back up is a hard lift, especially if there is limited space to use your legs like you should.

Chris I have a new unused one you can have :oops:

Judy, they are useless if you cannot use your legs - they are designed in such a manner you have to use your legs as they keep your upper body straight.

Grimmy

Back
Top Bottom