Why Not Take Olive Me . . .

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
As you can see in the above photo, and this closeup, I filled the empty space at the top of one of the 15# pots with old bonsai soil last year sometime, burying the trunk much deeper than it would eventually be planted.

511192747.576264public.jpeg

It worked like a charm to promote tons of new roots close to the trunk, and above the giant ones I'm sure are in that pot. Just tipping the pot and shaking off the top layer revealed exactly what I wanted:

511192762.871385public.jpeg

A cross section of the pot shows it clearly:

511192778.753012public.jpeg

All those fine roots at the top are new. The old soil line is still visible where the dry part starts.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
That made it pretty easy to leave the bottom half behind using my trusty rusty loppers ;)

511192789.059222public.jpeg

A quick rinse, and here's the raw material:

511192808.287374public.jpeg

Getting there, but there's still a big chunk of fused large roots in the center of those finer ones.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ah, much better! I also contoured the trunk chop a bit, and removed some more branches. I'm not sure if I'll keep the small trunk.

511192853.541065public.jpeg

Check that out! Completely flat on the bottom! It seems so easy now, posting this two days later, but that took forever with hand tools and the die grinder!

511192861.912536public.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Now that I'm amassing a decent pile of pots, it's really nice to be able to test drive a few mid repotting. I considered using this one from John Cannon:

511192882.387463public.jpeg

Along with this shallow unglazed oval:

511192914.803723public.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Oval it is. This tree isn't nice enough for that other pot ;)

511192924.652561public.jpeg

There it sits for now, ready for a warm and productive growing season. I'm not sure if I'll get to any more of them right now, but you know I'll keep this updated if I do.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, it did absolutely nothing for at least 2-3 months before the first little buds appeared - I wasn't falling for the "play dead" routine though ;)
Do olives usually act like that? I would have been a little worried.
It's looking good now though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, it did absolutely nothing for at least 2-3 months before the first little buds appeared - I wasn't falling for the "play dead" routine though ;)
Colin, you're doing great work! I'm not sure that particular trunk was worth the time and effort, but your technique is great! I'm thinking it would look better much shorter.., and putting it back in a grow box.

But your root work is superb! Good luck with them!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Colin, you're doing great work! I'm not sure that particular trunk was worth the time and effort, but your technique is great! I'm thinking it would look better much shorter.., and putting it back in a grow box.

But your root work is superb! Good luck with them!
Thanks man; I really appreciate it!
I'm inclined to agree regarding that trunk -that's one of the reasons it just went straight into an inexpensive bonsai pot instead of being grown out - I can make it look like something nice relatively quickly and then trade/sell/gift it and move on ;)

Top Bottom