czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am planning to air layer my olive in spring and looking for some advice whether what I'm planning on doing is viable.
I want to put the layering pod up as high as possible under the branches to end up with a nice short trunk on the layered tree.
This will leave me with a tall trunk to later chop and a healthy root system.
By doing the air layer I will be entirely cutting the phloem flow to the trunk as there is no leaves below the air layer but from what I gathered about olives, the fact that they recover from chopping really well and that the roots after winter are packed with energy, it should push out backbuds below the cut come spring?
Is this correct or am I missing something vital here?
Pic for reference:
olive.jpg

jerzyjerzy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, you are correct. The bare trunk should grow some new branches when the top is layered, and even more when the layer is removed.

It happens because you remove the auxin source when layering, and then you stop 'stealing' resources from the bottom part when cutting off the layer.

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And it will respond better if done in warmer weather. Don't start this until your weather has settled into summer.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And it will respond better if done in warmer weather. Don't start this until your weather has settled into summer.
Make sure the tree is at optimal health before you do it,
Yes we still had frost last night so I've still got a few weeks to go. The tree looks really healthy. Its let out a lot of healthy growth since last year's trim.

Top Bottom