Who to ask for permission to collect?

yanktonian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello! Long time lurker, avid tree killer.

Found this bald cypress at a Georgia Power reservoir which seems like a perfect opportunity, but I want to make sure that I do it right and ask for permission. How does one go about figuring out who and how to request that permission to collect?

bald cypress.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Which authority/agency controls the land/access to the land.

Those are the people to ask

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That trunk is gnar, and I'd be very interested to see what those roots are doing down under, and how'd they'd fare being yanked from that aquatic environment. Would be a tough one to lose as I'm sure it has some stories to tell.

yanktonian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That trunk is gnar, and I'd be very interested to see what those roots are doing down under, and how'd they'd fare being yanked from that aquatic environment. Would be a tough one to lose as I'm sure it has some stories to tell.
The taper is fabulous! I have no idea on how difficult it would be to get out. Gotta think that it ebbs and flows with the lake levels too.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My immediate thoughts as well.
Seems very significant.

I really hate to be that guy, but alone like this, this tree seems like it needs to be admired right where it’s at.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seems very significant.

I really hate to be that guy, but alone like this, this tree seems like it needs to be admired right where it’s at.
Agree here, especially when OP states they're an avid tree killer 🤣

yanktonian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Seems very significant.

I'm going to take this and agree. My father in law said something similar, but more that others might use it as a marker when in their boats.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I'm going to take this and agree. My father in law said something similar, but more that others might use it as a marker when in their boats.
Either way. It’s a beautiful tree. You have good taste.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wasn't going to say it but a few others did... and I can't explain why, but I feel like this one should be left to grow. It is terrific though. Would wonder how big it actually gets below the sand,...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wasn't going to say it but a few others did... and I can't explain why, but I feel like this one should be left to grow. It is terrific though. Would wonder how big it actually gets below the sand,...
Maybe it's the secret we've all been missing...plant our trees in fish tanks with sand and water!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Really gorgeous tree though. I 100% see the temptation. I think you’ve been given good advice and good on you for taking it in stride. I know I’d be all grumbly about someone saying not to collect an obviously awesome tree I found even if I knew I agreed deep down.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good on you for recognizing and accepting that it should be left where it is. I think that’s a big part of being in the hobby… knowing when to collect a tree and knowing when to leave a tree alone in its own perfection as nature intended.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Found this bald cypress at a Georgia Power reservoir which seems like a perfect opportunity, but I want to make sure that I do it right and ask for permission. How does one go about figuring out who and how to request that permission to collect?

View attachment 537676
If I were to collect that tree I would first contact the people maintaining the reservoir. They should at least be able to tell you the right people to ask.
Personally I would not dig that tree up for the following reason:
1. It is bigger than you think. Be sure you are up to the task.
2. It is unencumbered by other trees and will likely be the seeding tree for BCs in that area. I will not ever remove the seeding tree in an area unless it is a known invasive tree that is not desired for that area.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just keep taking pics of it to document its growth and changes. I think it's doing great where it is.
Now, if some weather-related event our outside activity starts to jeopardize the tree... get after it!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I were to collect that tree I would first contact the people maintaining the reservoir. They should at least be able to tell you the right people to ask.
Personally I would not dig that tree up for the following reason:
1. It is bigger than you think. Be sure you are up to the task.
2. It is unencumbered by other trees and will likely be the seeding tree for BCs in that area. I will not ever remove the seeding tree in an area unless it is a known invasive tree that is not desired for that area.
gotta agree, particularly with #1. Getting that beast out wouldn't be easy. It's at least a two man job and would involve moving a lot of that sand around, then pulling up the root mass. If that were in the actual swamp in muck, things might be different--although winches and come-alongs would still be in the cards.

Rule of thumb in collecting, it's ALWAYS a lot more work in reality than it is in your head. ALWAYS. 😁

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
gotta agree, particularly with #1. Getting that beast out wouldn't be easy. It's at least a two man job and would involve moving a lot of that sand around, then pulling up the root mass. If that were in the actual swamp in muck, things might be different--although winches and come-alongs would still be in the cards.

Rule of thumb in collecting, it's ALWAYS a lot more work in reality than it is in your head. ALWAYS. 😁
In my estimate, that tree is at least 20" in diameter at the ground level. I usually dig out 10" from the trunk edge so the tree root ball as taken from out from the ground is roughly 40" in diameter. If you have a truck or tractor to pull the tree, it's not that hard. If not, it is quite a dig.
If you are curious how I know the size of the tree without a reference, I use the usually size of the flutes on BCs of that type.

yanktonian

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Really gorgeous tree though. I 100% see the temptation. I think you’ve been given good advice and good on you for taking it in stride. I know I’d be all grumbly about someone saying not to collect an obviously awesome tree I found even if I knew I agreed deep down.
I work hard to remind myself of this hobby as a privilege. Besides, nature has more experience than I do and does much better work.

Drcuisine

Yamadori
Reaction score

View attachment 537676
When considering collecting a tree, my first thought is, am I taking something others may enjoy.

If the answer is yes, then the tree stays.

The tree you found is spectacular and probably worth a substantial amount of money.

Do other people gaze the same land from different angles? There is the law and there’s doing the right thing.

If you’re in a remote area and nobody sees the tree then I think you should definitely inquire about collecting it.

If it’s by a hiking trail, then the world deserves to see This other than in your backyard.

It is a spectacular tree.

Bald cypress are extremely forgiving when harvested at the right time of year.

I grow mine standing in water year-round.

I have trees that are 2 inches thick, growing in 4 inch pots.

You can cut the root ball down to next to nothing in the early spring and new roots will form.

I’m no expert, but the only way I’ve been able to kill a bald cypress is by letting them dry out.

The tree is stunning

Top Bottom