Who is using LED grow panels?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking to maybe replace my lighting setup in the greenhouse as seems like they need to be under lights longer each year with the winters being shorter, but too much chance for freezing late as well. So I've been looking at panels, and other grow lights. I have currently a full ceiling of hydrofarm heads (w/reflectors) with corn 6k daylight bulbs. I can get about 8k - 9k lux where the trees sit, but am looking for something stronger and with blue/red elements to add to the spectrum. I like the idea of these as when the bulbs get old they can be replaced, as with panels you basically have to buy a new unit. But I'm interested in what others have tried or are using that is newer tech that works well.
Thanks for any comments.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Judy, @cmeg1 is the resident guru when it comes to indoor growing.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use cheap LED lights for my tropical trees to keep them going indoors through the winter. Each lamp was $60, and they're working great. If I had chosen cheap conventional bulbs, I would be changing the bulbs continually. With the LED lights, I can plug them in and forget about them. They're supposed to burn out eventually, but I haven't seen it happen yet. Plus, they draw almost no power.

Dabbler

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm actually about to start a mangrove saltwater tank using Kessel lights - I've used the bigger versions for ficus in the past and they grew like I had them outside in summer.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using LED for growing indoor plants for about 15 years now. They were pretty primitive back then and blurple was the in thing. There are a lot of really good lights these days so anybody can do it. Cheap lights do not last, so buy better lights. Often they are on sale on Amazon. The last half dozen or so I bought were Spider Farmer and I though I know there are a lot more options now, I figure I should go with what works. Mars is probably every bit as good as Spider Farmer. For some they may be better. When you find something you like, buy extras. Sometimes really awesome lights are discontinued and frankly I don't know why. Some of my best lights are in this category and have been in use 8 and 10 years. Caution, when you are using LED grow lights, wear glasses when under them for awhile.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm actually about to start a mangrove saltwater tank using Kessel lights - I've used the bigger versions for ficus in the past and they grew like I had them outside in summer.
Yes, these will grow plants well, but the spectrum is in the blue so they are not much good for encouraging flowers or fruit. I started with these on reef tanks when they were still pretty new. Hard on the eyes. You may not notice it for years, but eventually you are going to have vision problems if you are not cautious. If there is a history of Macular degeneration in your family, be very very careful and where blue blocking glasses at a minimum. Or don't and pay the price like I am.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, these will grow plants well, but the spectrum is in the blue so they are not much good for encouraging flowers or fruit. I started with these on reef tanks when they were still pretty new. Hard on the eyes. You may not notice it for years, but eventually you are going to have vision problems if you are not cautious. If there is a history of Macular degeneration in your family, be very very careful and where blue blocking glasses at a minimum. Or don't and pay the price like I am.
Good advice! Mom had wet RMD and lost sight in one eye so I’m always cautious. I looked at spider farmer, but like the tilting panel option on these, getting one tomorrow to compare to what I have currently. https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-BU48...48c-91a6-1b8aabf387b1&pd_rd_i=B0BV1BXBYK&th=1

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I run these.

Very please with how cool they run temperature wise and the light output. I've had them running winters 16hr days for two years with no issues. Adjustable in many ways, no fans needed.
Thanks! Looks good, and decent pricing. I’ll take a look at the barrina I posted above and may get one of these to compare with. I do like the idea of angling the outside panels for focusing the light where you want it…

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m currently using spider farmer with good results. I have had one unit fail and spider farmer did replace the unit at no cost to me.
I still use some t5ho also. I just upgraded my t5ho unit to 8 lamps wide- I think it gets too warm though.

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I use a SF4000 inside a 5' tent for my tropicals. My trees lives through winter but don't really thrive. I have bougainvillea, P Afra, BRT, ficuses, fukien tea mostly in there. Not sure why my trees struggle a bit, but pretty sure its something I am doing wrong, not the light. Keep intending to make adjustments, but never have the time.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good advice! Mom had wet RMD and lost sight in one eye so I’m always cautious. I looked at spider farmer, but like the tilting panel option on these, getting one tomorrow to compare to what I have currently. https://www.amazon.com/Barrina-BU48...48c-91a6-1b8aabf387b1&pd_rd_i=B0BV1BXBYK&th=1
These are great lights and this is perfect for a small greenhouse or a grow room.
BTW, my mom had it in both eyes and got an injection in her left eye every 5 weeks. I have it as well by so far it is still the dry form.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use a SF4000 inside a 5' tent for my tropicals. My trees lives through winter but don't really thrive. I have bougainvillea, P Afra, BRT, ficuses, fukien tea mostly in there. Not sure why my trees struggle a bit, but pretty sure its something I am doing wrong, not the light. Keep intending to make adjustments, but never have the time.
I agree. My plants are growing much better than I expected them to under the SF lights. But if you want them to thrive in winter give them everything they would have in summer, fertilizer, heat and 12 - 14 hours of light.
I’m currently using spider farmer with good results. I have had one unit fail and spider farmer did replace the unit at no cost to me.
I still use some t5ho also. I just upgraded my t5ho unit to 8 lamps wide- I think it gets too warm though.
Haven't had one go bad yet but they will take care of you if you do. Also, I love T5 bulbs but they need replacement about every 6 months to perform optimally. I actually think cuttings take better under T5 than under LED.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have three panels by Viparspectra panels and they have run great for two years so far.

I have the XS series panels instead of the green coloured panels posted above.

If I had enough time and resources currently, I would buy more panels and attempt to get a solution working to mimic sun travel so as to not have the plants deal with instant full power lighting and instant darkness.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It is potentially something in your process, the distance the panel is from the plants, or the limitations of the species themselves.

I have raintrees (not BRT), monkey-ear, baobab, and peppers that seem to grow better inside in general due to the consistent heat for months on end. My shefflera seems to be the only one not thriving, but it is currently experiences cold nightly tempatures (due to my own laziness in fully covering the tent to trap heat).

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I agree. My plants are growing much better than I expected them to under the SF lights. But if you want them to thrive in winter give them everything they would have in summer, fertilizer, heat and 12 - 14 hours of light.

Haven't had one go bad yet but they will take care of you if you do. Also, I love T5 bulbs but they need replacement about every 6 months to perform optimally. I actually think cuttings take better under T5 than under LED.
I definitely dont fertilize enough during winter, Im sure thats a major part of the problem. They do get 14 hours of light and its normally in the mid to upper 70s during the day and upper 60s at night. Only heat is generated from the light itself, otherwise basement outside the tent stays around 60 during winter.

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It is potentially something in your process, the distance the panel is from the plants, or the limitations of the species themselves.

I have raintrees (not BRT), monkey-ear, baobab, and peppers that seem to grow better inside in general due to the consistent heat for months on end. My shefflera seems to be the only one not thriving, but it is currently experiences cold nightly tempatures (due to my own laziness in fully covering the tent to trap heat).
Thats funny, my schefflera are doing the best out of anything. P afra do ok and I get the bougainvillea to flower in there. BRT definitely is unhappy. Have one buttonwood that does fine. Last year fukien tea did really great in the tent, this year it is barely surviving. Im curious how close do you keep your panel above your trees? Best I could find online was around 20-24 inches for weed plants, but obviously this is different. I do get some leaf burn pretty quickly if I am not watering alot at this height, especially early in winter while things are adjusting to the tent.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

How do you determine the best distance when the height of the trees are not uniform? I imagine just compromising is the best way to go, some of my taller trees will def be close to to the panels at the apex. They are now, and I don’t see any problems with it. Of course I’m only using these for a couple months each year after the leaves pop and it’s too cold for outside, thus eliminating the shuffle.
thanks @keithl @penumbra @Kievnstavick @amcoffeegirl and @Srt8madness and everyone else who took the time to give me advice!

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Its definitely a challenge if you have really different sized material. Most of my tropicals are relatively small, but there are a few taller ones. The light is most intense in the center of the panel, so you can put shorter things there and species that prefer more light. Then taller things and species that like a bit less light further out from center. You can also use some sort of blocks to put under the pots of shorter trees to raise them up and try to make things more uniform. This also helps in my setup with watering. I put things like gollum jades on blocks so that they do not get water from below when the flood table is filled with water.

Top Bottom