Where to buy chojubai?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank, would placing several plants in a single 1 gal container allow for a quicker development of a single specimen? I have 3 plants that were bought in 4" pots. I already moved them into 1 gal Rootpouch bag and placed them in a grow bed with mulch surrounding the sides instead of dirt.
Yes it would appear to be a quicker development. but in reality the trunks or ramification would still proceed at the same rate in my opinion. I have not chosen that route for development to experiment with. If your definition of development value lies in the actual stage of growth, trunk size and combined with branch size and ramification, then I do not see the advantage. More of a perception really!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is one thing for sure, they take a long time to grow some decent roots. They would also prefer to send up a shoot from below the soil line verse growing roots to fill the pot. But still they are a pretty cool plant in their own right.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is one thing for sure, they take a long time to grow some decent roots. They would also prefer to send up a shoot from below the soil line verse growing roots to fill the pot. But still they are a pretty cool plant in their own right.
For those focussing on propagation, root cuttings can be very effective and often develop faster.
just an additional tip.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is Chinese Quince, pseudocydonia sinensis. Also in very high demand and low supply, apparently!

I’m looking for chaenomeles japonica ‘chojubai’, dwarf Japanese Quince.

Just to avoid any confusion! :)

😩

Racked a TON of trees thru the years,(including Red and White chojubai cuttings at $75 apiece for tiny cuttings 4-5 years ago) but one Chinese Quince "scar" will always remain!!!😣

DSC00683 (1).JPG 2015......lowest branch did it's job, planned to remove......killed it 3-4 years ago. I don't ruminate over the past but this one still stings!!!

Chojubai? Great stuff, but at the cost, better to contemplate the numerous other Japanese Quince cultivars.

Good luck with the search, and god-bless your "bank account"!😀 Prices were huge 5 years ago!!!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Chojubai? Great stuff, but at the cost, better to contemplate the numerous other Japanese Quince cultivars.

Funny you mention it! I’ve become a bit infatuated with quince. I have some other cultivars in development including ‘O Yashima’ and ‘Contorted Peach’ from Evergreen Gardenworks, and a nursery center ‘Texas Scarlet’ :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Funny you mention it! I’ve become a bit infatuated with quince. I have some other cultivars in development including ‘O Yashima’ and ‘Contorted Peach’ from Evergreen Gardenworks, and a nursery center ‘Texas Scarlet’ :)
I'm working with Chojubai (white and red), Toyo nishiki, and Cameo. I had to choose seriously working with either flowering quince or satsuki.......I'm sure you know what I picked ;)

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for all the great replies here! Love this community!

I was able to get some great red chojubai stock from @Brian Van Fleet and I picked up some white chojubai stock from Julian Adams. Also got one more red from Julian, we’ll see if the genetics appear any different from Brian’s over time and acclimation to my garden and horticulture.

Tiny flower :)

23AF829A-166F-48CC-AF36-CC4F12B419EF.jpeg

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
since we are here... how late in the season can you cut Chaenomeles J.? I don't have chojubai, but I want to try to make mine ramify and I have one that have no foliage, but a straight thin trunk around 10-12" long before forking with leaves.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I bought a decent small white chojubai from International Bonsai's yearly catalog of plants a couple of year's ago. Price reasonable. Make sure to check when the catalog is available.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bought a decent small white chojubai from International Bonsai's yearly catalog of plants a couple of year's ago. Price reasonable. Make sure to check when the catalog is available.
How have you been growing them out since acquiring?

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
2 or 3 years, very easy to grow, but it’s a white variety which is stronger than red variety. Very floriferous in late winter.

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
I am propagating them as quickly as I can with the intent to sell them, but as others have mentioned, they are very slow to get any sort of trunk or branch girth.
I hope to be able to release my first plants in 2022. I currently have 3 different genetics of the red that I am growing out. The different ones have different qualities.
I plan on focusing my growing operation not only on species ( Acer Palmatum, for example) but on selected genetics that are good for bonsai within that species.
I will post here first when I have a supply to sell.
Cheers
John
Left Coast Bonsai
leftcoastbonsai.com

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am propagating them as quickly as I can with the intent to sell them, but as others have mentioned, they are very slow to get any sort of trunk or branch girth.
I hope to be able to release my first plants in 2022. I currently have 3 different genetics of the red that I am growing out. The different ones have different qualities.
I plan on focusing my growing operation not only on species ( Acer Palmatum, for example) but on selected genetics that are good for bonsai within that species.
I will post here first when I have a supply to sell.
Cheers
John
Left Coast Bonsai
leftcoastbonsai.com

I will be sure to keep a lookout for your plants, John. Also just want to say that I have really enjoyed the Bonsai Wire podcast.

If anyone has not listened to the podcast - you should!

JEads

Mame
Reaction score
I will be sure to keep a lookout for your plants, John. Also just want to say that I have really enjoyed the Bonsai Wire podcast.

If anyone has not listened to the podcast - you should!
Thank you so much. The Bonsai Wire Podcast has really been fun. Now that I am living on the farm without reliable internet, I am not as involved, but I have a few episodes coming up.

Top Bottom