The rare cultivar... and where you can buy them thread

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I thought I would start this thread for people to share rare cultivars that they have found in the market... as a sort of "treasure hunt" themed thread. Post something you have been looking for and where you have found they are currently selling it. Extra credit for A. palmatum 'Beni chidori' in the US.

So for the first listing in this thread, I just picked up two healthy Pinus bungeana 'Silver Ghost'. P. bungeana is a three-needle Chinese pine that is known commonly as "lacebark pine" and has puzzle piece bark like a Chinese quince or some Chinese elms. The "Silver Ghost" cultivar has been propagated for its very white bark. I have never seen this species in bonsai before. Also, unusually for a pine, its normal growth habit is as a multi-trunk.

Pinus_bungeana_Kew2.jpg

You can find this tree today at Oriental Garden Supply.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I thought I would start this thread for people to share rare cultivars that they have found in the market... as a sort of "treasure hunt" themed thread. Post something you have been looking for and where you have found they are currently selling it. Extra credit for A. palmatum 'Beni chidori' in the US.

So for the first listing in this thread, I just picked up two healthy Pinus bungeana 'Silver Ghost'. P. bungeana is a three-needle Chinese pine that is known commonly as "lacebark pine" and has puzzle piece bark like a Chinese quince or some Chinese elms. The "Silver Ghost" cultivar has been propagated for its very white bark. I have never seen this species in bonsai before. Also, unusually for a pine, its normal growth habit is as a multi-trunk.

View attachment 530145

I love this bark, wow

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 530145

Aaaaaand sold out! :(

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Extra credit for A. palmatum 'Beni chidori' in the US.

I ship beni chidori (and seigen) to most states in the USA, completely legally.

Having invested over a decade into acquiring beni chidori, i don’t mind a shameless self-promotion here if it means helping others get their hands on the cultivar

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

broken_branch

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Having invested over a decade into acquiring beni chidori, i don’t mind a shameless self-promotion here if it means helping others get their hands on the cultivar
How about north of freedom land?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Well... your site shows them as not available, and my attempts to obtain them through you have come to naught. Are you saying you have some available?
:)

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Well... your site shows them as not available, and my attempts to obtain them through you have come to naught. Are you saying you have some available?
:)
Yes, inquiring minds would like to know…. Asking for a friend 😉

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Your website states you require a minimum $2000 order to ship to the US. I get why, but that's a lot for most hobbyists both in number of trees and funds.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your website states you require a minimum $2000 order to ship to the US. I get why, but that's a lot for most hobbyists both in number of trees and funds.
Get a local trader to buy a lot for resell. I could imagine that is the market @Canada Bonsai predominantly targets in cross-border deals.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score

I propagate them but that does not mean that i have an infinite supply every year, unfortunately ☹️

My website is for sales within Canada, and i work with an annual sale every March (i don’t ship plants year round). For buyers in the USA, I work by email. I ship to the USA once per year, in Feb/March.

I remeber we spoke but i don’t remeber what we planned, sorry about that. In general, people who have taken the time to email me to order these in advance have got them. I’m sending hundreds of Beni Chidori to the US in 2024 (and thousands of trees that aren’t Beni Chidori).

Please send me an email and we can plan for 2025 if you like

Bringing this back to the topic of rare cultivars 🙂

I happen specialize in rare cultivars, long before i was into bonsai:
Acer palmatum (beni chidori, seigen, and all the classic bonsai cultivars)
Diospyros rhombifolia (+60 cultivars),
Prunus mume (+50 cultivars), in particular.
Satsuki azaleas (+ 75 cultivars)
Callicarpa (white, pink, and black berries)
Ilex serrata (white and yellow berries)

Wish i could get my hands on more Japanese Cherries but they have been so hard to find in North America!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe someone can organize a group buy...if so throw my name in the hat
The logistics of this would be complicated.
I assume he would want to do one shipment to one person. So that person would either have to front the $2000, hoping people don't back out or collect it up front plus shipping costs to send the tree(s) to that person.

Then do the paperwork for their state, and accept the shipment, then split it into separate shipments to the different people and collect money for the trees plus shipping.

If I was retired, had space to handle the trees and more money to risk it, I'd consider it but neither of those conditions are true.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get a local trader to buy a lot for resell. I could imagine that is the market @Canada Bonsai predominantly targets in cross-border deals.
Yea it would have to be someone like Bill Valvanis or Conifer Kingdom to do this.

Last edited:

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
@Paradox This is not the place to continue to discuss my business. If you're interested, send me an email. I do want to clarify a few things you brought up though, because you're making assumptions that could mislead others:
  • The logistics are not complicated and I don't need to send to a group, although I can. I regularly send to individuals.
  • There is no USA paperwork to do -- it's all handled by me and the CFIA. (I follow the USDA and CFIA regulations, it's 100% legal). All you need to do is receive the bareroot plants and pot them.
  • No I don't "have to" deal with "someone like Bill Valavanis or Conifer Kingdom". This year I am shipping orders as small as 1 tree, direct to customer.
  • I prefer to ship to professionals or nurseries in larger volumes and I give priority to this, but I also get a lot of group-orders from friends and clubs/societies, as well as individuals. I have yet to turn anybody away for any reason other than inventory shortage.

Top Bottom