whats too much natural sun light?

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I've had my tree for just under a week now and I found out this morning that the place I've been keeping (on my deck) is completly shaded of sun light until around 2pm (I just noticed this today because I work until 3 and there's nice sun at that point) I found a nice place that's gets nice sun first thing but its now completely shaded as well. It seems as if I'm chasing sun all day, moving the tree which I'm not sure is a good thing. How much sun is enough (direct) there isn't too much filtered sunshine over here...its pretty much full sun or full shade.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here are a few pictures of my area. The first picture is a portion of my deck that receives filtered sun light, it pretty much sees this this much all day (not sure if its enough) The other picture is where I had my tree positioned this morning, sitting on that rock out back. It was full sun this morning and than around 11am it was completely shaded as you can see.2012-10-21 11.53.30.jpg2012-10-21 11.53.45.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The amount of light the tree needs depends on what type of tree it is. Your juniper is a sun lover. During the growing season, up until dormancy arrives, you'll want to find a spot that receives as much sun as possible. The only time that is not true, would be after you've done a major procedure with it, such as repotting or heavy bending. Then some folks would say to move it into part shade for a few days to keep the stress levels down. Some people would put it back into the sun right away. I don't keep juniper, but I do know they love sun.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The amount of light the tree needs depends on what type of tree it is. Your juniper is a sun lover. During the growing season, up until dormancy arrives, you'll want to find a spot that receives as much sun as possible. The only time that is not true, would be after you've done a major procedure with it, such as repotting or heavy bending. Then some folks would say to move it into part shade for a few days to keep the stress levels down. Some people would put it back into the sun right away. I don't keep juniper, but I do know they love sun.

I did some googleing around and I found a person possing the same question but he was raising juniper and larch. He asked if 6 hours of direct light was enough...I guess his area is like mine where its great for a while than completley shaded. He was told that 6 hours is plenty or enough for the tree. I don't think I'll get 6 + strong hours in any location (besides that picture of my deck) is it I'll advice to move the tree thru out the day (chasing sun)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My junipers only get a half a day of direct sun and do great.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nash, In your part of the country, I would try to give this plant 12 hours of sun (if available). There is something about jkd's last comment about 6 hours of sun that you should notice. He lives in Texas where the sun is much more intense than Maine. Here on the 'net, you have to factor in where the advice you're getting is coming from. Horticultural conditions vary immensely across the US. For example, down South a plant in a black plastic container is a plant with fried roots come July and August, whereas you would probably benefit from one during the cooler parts of the growing season and not have to worry at all in the summer.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes sorry about that. Down here afternoon sun=fried tree in the summer months.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
...and due to the angle of the sun in the fall, day length is shorter and shadows are longer. Sun exposure this time of year is not that important as your tree is not growing any more and will be dormant soon. As Stan pointed out, come next spring, you will want to give your juniper as much direct sun as possible...6 hours would be ok but more would be better.

nash2000

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I didn't even think to notice where people are from in terms of light advice...early Texas or southern sun would b much more potent than up here. I'll continue to give as much sun as possible, unfortunately I'll have to chase it around a bit until I can map the shadows and set up a more permanent location.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Find a permanent location. You will enjoy the hobby more. Also as yo get more addicted make sure a tree you buy will thrive in your environment. I would love to have a larch but it would die here within two years.

Top Bottom