What's Does A Decent Bonsai Tool Kit Include?

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looking on Amazon for a kit and there are so many.

What does a decent bonsai tool kit include?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Concave cutters are number one, but actual choice of tools involves the type of bonsai you are working on. Also, the tools do not all necessarily need to be "Bonsai" tools. Many people use tools not designed expressly for bonsai. Others (many with deeper pockets) use nothing but bonsai tools.
As always in bonsai............. it depends.

Isilwen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Concave cutters are number one, but actual choice of tools involves the type of bonsai you are working on. Also, the tools do not all necessarily need to be "Bonsai" tools. Many people use tools not designed expressly for bonsai. Others (many with deeper pockets) use nothing but bonsai tools.
As always in bonsai............. it depends.

Okay.

The kits on Amazon aren't too expensive. I'm working with a Parsoni Juniper and Benjamina Ficus currently.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd stay away from the sub $40 kits for sure, something like this would probably last several years
Screenshot_20230404_071821_Amazon Shopping.jpg

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi, my name is Zak and I have a tool problem.

If you stick with it you’ll replace the entry level stuff at some point. Really it’s about the material and how well it will take and retain an edge.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A ""complete" kit is unnecessary and can actually limit your abilities as tools in those sets can be kind of bargain basement--and mostly are if you're looking on Amazon the stuff there is cheap Chinese-made. You will have to buy them again in a few years, as joints loosen, edges chip and misalign, etc. Been there, done that...A good quality Japanese-made, mid-grade concave cutter will last quite a while and will have less chance of degrading. Misaligned edges and loose joints can damage trees with uneven, ragged cuts, etc.

Generally, if you ask most bonsai people who've been doing this for more than 10 years or so, they will say they have accumulated good to excellent tools over time. Rather than spending extra on a set up front, think about buying the best single tool you can with that money from established Japanese tool makers-Kaneshin, Masakuni, etc. (Wazakura is pretty good and economical). All those brands are sold by U.S. suppliers.

Getting good tools takes time. I'd start with a concave cutter, then some general shears, as they are used the most. then, down the road you can get more specialized tools that you will only use occasionally-knob cutters, specialized shears like bud shears, etc.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I'm with @rockm on less tools is better when constrained by budget.
If finance is limited just get a branch cutter first.
Buying cheap tools is a waste of money as you generally get what you pay for. Cheap tools do not cut well and won't last long.
Branch cutter is one of the tools you'll use most.
Second most used is root shears.

Tele

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bought too much myself. Bought this mixed concave/knob (concave & rounded) cutter and do not really need more (yet).

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 16

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Agree that it’s all about quality over quantity with bonsai tools. I initially bought a cheap set and it was just a waste of money because the tools broke within a year.

I would recommend, as stated above, a good branch cutter and shears and that will be a great start. Then you can always add large root cutter, different types of shears, carving tools, etc etc

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just a note on the "cheap chinese made" comment, not all chinese made tools are made equal, a brand sold locally...Ryuga is very popular locally and for good reason as they are pretty good and a cheaper alternative than the japanese made tools. I have had mine for 2 years now and no issues.
Not sure what name Ryuga is sold under in the us, but i do know of online shops in the us that sell them...like eastern leaf

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a note on the "cheap chinese made" comment, not all chinese made tools are made equal, a brand sold locally...Ryuga is very popular locally and for good reason as they are pretty good and a cheaper alternative than the japanese made tools. I have had mine for 2 years now and no issues.
Not sure what name Ryuga is sold under in the us, but i do know of online shops in the us that sell them...like eastern leaf
It's not really a comment, as much as having more than a few Chinese tools over the years to back that comment up. For the most part, they are the tools that wear out first for me (two years isn't all that long, BTW). A good Japanese made tool will last a decade or longer. Chinese made tools, not so much. Cheaper is not better, far from it.

Ryuga tools are produced in China (by Y&M Group for export to the Japanese market). Ryuga is the brand name for bonsai tools for international export, apparently. Made to Japanese standards (but not Japanese steel), so they MAY be better than the usual Chinese made stuff sold on Amazon. If you're looking for lower cost, but Japanese tools, Kiku tools are more affordable.

Basics for bonsai tool video from Eisei En. Bjorn recommends Kikuwa,

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And of course there are going to be different views. I have never purchased a pair of root shears and even if I was rich, I would be unlikely to do so. For decades I have used a good bypass pruner (Felco) and old vintage steel scissors for general root reduction and concave cutters for surface roots.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In order of necessity:
  • Scissors
  • Concave cutters
  • Jin Pliers
    • I use them during wiring and repotting far more than for creating jin. They're handy to have then too, though.
  • Wire Cutters
    • The purpose-designed bonsai ones reduce scarring when removing wire.
  • Angled Tweezers
    • Handy to have any time, but indispensable during repotting.
  • Bud shears (narrower, thinner, better for reaching into a dense canopy)
    • If you have them, you'll use them when its appropriate, but you can get by with a good set of scissors mentioned above
  • Some storage device that makes it easy for you to access the tools, whether its a roll, a toolbox, or a mechanics bag.
    • This should be higher on the list, but I'm not exactly sure where to put it, ...and it can be added after the fact.

Stainless isn't a panacea, but particularly on non-cutting tools, it might make sense. For cutting tools, have a plan for sharpening them and know that carbon steel is easier to sharpen. (I've got two sets of stainless. One I bought as a set, the other I've pieced together.)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Agree that it’s all about quality over quantity with bonsai tools. I initially bought a cheap set and it was just a waste of money because the tools broke within a year.
I have 20 dollar concave cutters, branch cutters and some other tools that do the job very well.
Wire cutters and grafting knives are something I got at the dollar store because the japanese ones just didn't perform well.

But when really thinking about it, I think I'd be able to manage the entire hobby with a decent scissor, small saw, some pliers and a box cutter.

Colt Carson

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The Wazakura tools (made in Japan) seem to be decent quality and are available through Amazon. Whether you are purchasing tools for the kitchen, garage or garden… you’ll never regret buying good tools.

arreaux

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I started with a pair of Joshua Roth concave cutters back in '84 and they still are mt go to cutters. For roots I just use a pair of plastic handled stainless scissors, nothing fancy, cheap to replace since they are cutting through soils. Through the years I've slowly purchased an array of steel tools from a Bonsai nursery south of me. I have them in a canvas tool roll and never had any rust issues. I avoid stainless unless it's something like S30v, which I don't think anyone uses that metal in Bonsai tools. Regular stainless does not maintain an edge long.

bonsai tools.jpg

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The Wazakura tools (made in Japan) seem to be decent quality and are available through Amazon. Whether you are purchasing tools for the kitchen, garage or garden… you’ll never regret buying good tools.

I second Wazakura. Great quality for the price.

But buy through the affiliate links here instead of Amazon and support this site instead of Bezos...:

Top Bottom