What to do now..rescue ficus..

elena999

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was given this tree by a friend. It was losing its leaves..now they are all gone. Im not sure which ficus it is but I guess the.leaves were long like Benjamin. I dont know much about ficus but i read the dont back bud..so does that mean its dead( right now its very much alive) or will be? What would happen if i chopped it? trim it? its kind of ugly right now. Soil seems good and its been under lights all winter. I'd like it shorter..suggestions please.Also, should it be repotted ?.I really hate not knowing what im doing!!! Slow learner..Thanks

Attachments

• ficus 004.JPG
    ficus 004.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 30
  • ficus 008.JPG
    ficus 008.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 30
  • ficus 006.JPG
    ficus 006.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 29
  • ficus 005.JPG
    ficus 005.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 30

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That looks to be a ficus microcarpa, which will backbud fine. But, I wouldn't do anything but let it grow for a long time. Baby it until you can get it outside for the summer. I would probably let it be for the rest of the year at least.

elena999

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks to be a ficus microcarpa, which will backbud fine. But, I wouldn't do anything but let it grow for a long time. Baby it until you can get it outside for the summer. I would probably let it be for the rest of the year at least.

Tom, So chopping the top off wouldnt be good right now..since I want it smaller anyeay. Are you thinking to much shock right now??

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes it's too much work for the tree right now. I would just try to get it as strong as possible. Once it flourishes you will see your options for chopping.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Ficus do back bud, when healthy. Your first goal, as Tom said, is to get it growing strongly. You want a bunch of green leaves, which should lead to strong roots. Then you can chop it wherever you want. Horticulture first.

elena999

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus do back bud, when healthy. Your first goal, as Tom said, is to get it growing strongly. You want a bunch of green leaves, which should lead to strong roots. Then you can chop it wherever you want. Horticulture first.

ok..Im just hoping to see some leaves. Then Ill feel better. Im just gonna let it grow and hope it will take off when I can put it outside..Thank you.. I feel hopeful..:D

Top Bottom