What is this bug?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have seen this bug on the front and back of the leaves on a few of my plants. And the leaves are slowly dying. I sprayed neem oil. It worked but the bug came back after a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know what the bug is? Should I continue using neem oil?

Thank you.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 67
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 63

KateM

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like scale. Repeated applications of neem oil should help.

Reactions: R0b

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scale indeed, I prefer to use a systemic insecticide to kill the asap.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scale is impervious to sprays once it takes the form shown on your tree. The insect has a waxy coating that sheds moisture.

Scale insects' lifecycle includes a brief "crawler" stage that lasts only a day or so. They are vulnerable to sprays then, but you're not going to be able to catch them in that stage very effectively.

That's why systemics are more effective in controlling them. The poison is spread through the plants' vascular system where it is taken up by the scale.

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
Scale is impervious to sprays once it takes the form shown on your tree. The insect has a waxy coating that sheds moisture.

Scale insects' lifecycle includes a brief "crawler" stage that lasts only a day or so. They are vulnerable to sprays then, but you're not going to be able to catch them in that stage very effectively.

That's why systemics are more effective in controlling them. The poison is spread through the plants' vascular system where it is taken up by the scale.
Thank you

Top Bottom