What is the possibility of having a Classified Section?

The idea certainly has merit, I'll give you that.
I am not interested in commission work. I don't at all mind suggestions, but I am getting too old to fart around struggling to make something because I am committed to it. Selfish? Maybe. But I want to make what I want to make. I guess that really has more to do with my nature than with my age.
About 30 years ago I learned the lapidary arts and silversmithing and was well tutored. I had fun with it for several years, sitting up until the wee morning hours "expressing" myself. I did some craft shows and had some experience with people who wanted to special order things, sometimes in quantity and sometimes even for a price break. A well dressed gentleman walked up to me at a local annual show and was looking at a pair of chakra earrings I had made. It was a sting of seven different stones to represent the chakras, set in sterling. He had a dilemma. His words, not mine. "Should I buy these for my wife or my secretary." I simply replied that I wasn't "going there". He disappeared for awhile and returned about an hour later. He said he wanted 7 pairs, one for his wife and one for each of the women in his office. Indeed a generous thing to consider. His question was, "If I buy 7 pair, how much of a discount can I get". I looked him squarely in the eyes and quietly said that because I am generally a nice guy, pair number two would cost the same as pair number one, but then each subsequent pair would be 20% more than the prior pair. He though I was joking, so I explained that the first pair was an act of creation that I had taken pleasure in making, but that any subsequent pair was only a copy and no longer fun, but work. He bought the pair for his wife as an original one of a kind creation upon my sage advice.
I meant.. like... “here’s the tree.. YOU design a pot”

but I do, totally understand what you are saying, friend.

I explained that the first pair was an act of creation that I had taken pleasure in making, but that any subsequent pair was only a copy and no longer fun, but work.
I very much understand. Have known & worked with artists on both sides of that fence.

But also, designing & making one-offs is quite a different animal from production — I’m grateful to the boss who showed me that, years ago. She would have a blast designing pieces and making a few prototypes, finding out the pros and cons, and altering the materials/process to suit. Then she prepared to make a small production run, say 6 pieces, to build in stages as a group — and she TIMED herself doing it at a normal, comfortable pace. Then STREAMLINED her process/design as necessary to make the time & materials expenditure leave her with a profit when she sold the items for an attractive wholesale price. Can’t always win that battle, though: I remember one line that worked out great — profitable & popular — and another that just couldn’t pay its way without being drained of all we loved about the design (and those originals were a joy to behold, too, so that was an eye-opener).

Guess what I’m saying is, multiples are a business proposition, and if one hasn’t “costed it out,” getting locked into a commission or wholesale-pricing commitment could be a whole lot more work than it’s worth.

(TinyAuntie pipes down, now!)

..........pair number two would cost the same as pair number one, but then each subsequent pair would be 20% more than the prior pair. He though I was joking, so I explained that the first pair was an act of creation that I had taken pleasure in making, but that any subsequent pair was only a copy and no longer fun, but work.

@penumbra I'm glad I came back to read the new posts..............this is another that will forever be etched in my mind.

I have been thinking more and more about this, lately...

As recently, a few sales posts were observed, after the fact, slip on the site, AND off.. because they were hardly noticed. (Sexy conifer seedlings come to mind)

I DO believe our existing sales threads ARE sufficient. I ,also, believe it's very much an "Ope! Forgot to check dere. Whoops!" situation.

I feel a PLACEMENT change would be sufficient to encourage more traffic and keep this thought more "frontwards". ;)

Like Maybe... Higher up... but still less conspicuous..?

Just Spit-Brain-Ball-Stormin'

Back
Top Bottom