Possibility for a new source for 1/8" to 1/4" Pumice

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Today I decided to email Build a Soil to drop a small request... possibility of them selling 1/8" to 1/4" sized pumice. As of right now, to my knowledge and after looking at all the options posted here, they have the best price for shipped pumice. Their product is outstanding, while not thoroughly washed, it comes rather clean and certainly within the sizing advertised. Below is the reply I received a few hours later. I can clearly tell he paraphrase my email, which is great, as customer service this days sucks and you normally get a cookie cutter reply and no follow up at all... errrr, American Bonsai.

So if you would like a cheaper alternative to the $40 1/2 cuF sold almost everywhere you could drop them a note. Maybe if they see there is more interest in this size they could make it available sooner.

Thank you for reaching out with your inquiry about the pumice sizes available at BuildASoil. We appreciate your continued patronage and are glad to hear that our product has been meeting your expectations in terms of quality and consistency, particularly for larger bonsai trees.

Understanding the growing interest in bonsai cultivation, especially with the influence of renowned artists like Ryan Neil and Bjorn Bjorholm, it's clear that there is a burgeoning market for more specialized substrate sizes. The demand for smaller particle sizes, such as 1/8" to 1/4", is indeed becoming more prominent in the bonsai community. This size range is particularly suited for smaller bonsai trees, offering the right balance of drainage and aeration while maintaining moisture and nutrient retention.

While our current offerings focus on the 1/4" to 3/8" size range, we are always open to exploring new opportunities to better serve the needs of our customers. The feedback you've provided about the demand for the 1/8" to 1/4" pumice size is invaluable and something we will certainly consider for our product lineup.

Given the specific requirements of bonsai enthusiasts and the seasonal nature of repotting, we understand the importance of having the right materials available at the right time. While I cannot make any immediate promises regarding the introduction of this smaller particle size, I can assure you that your feedback will be taken seriously and discussed with our product team.

In the meantime, we remain committed to providing high-quality products at competitive prices, and we value the insights and suggestions from our community. Should we decide to introduce the 1/8" to 1/4" pumice size, we will make sure to communicate this to our customers, including dedicated bonsai practitioners like yourself.

Thank you again for your feedback and for being a part of the BuildASoil community. Your contributions help us grow and improve, and we look forward to continuing to serve your bonsai substrate needs. If you have any further questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

1 cuF bag, price shipped to San Antonio, TX - $38 The 1 yd tote sells for $211 plus freight.

1702657732348.png

1702657747955.png

Next to 2 liter bottle for sizing

1702658458613.png

1702658479128.png

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great price with shipping. Appreciate the info. Would be interested if they start selling the smaller particle size.

Weta

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That's sparkling clean compared with the stuff I get,
Looking at the conversion rates I get around 44lbs of 1to7mm for 5 usd but spend time cleaning.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another great tip is too google hydroponic stores near you. I get big bags (around that size) of pumice for $20 from a place 15 minutes from me. worth a shot, some of the hydroponic places are pretty geared toward pot growing so they don't go out of their way to advertise or be visible, you might not know about one nearby. The guys is always roasting a bowl when I walk in at the one I go to, not sure he's super interested in a lot of foot traffic

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Was going to try them out this year as I found them to be the cheapest option as well. Good to hear you’re happy with their product! Will be ordering some soon.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Maiden69 are you gonna switch out those grow out beds of yours, or just loading up for potting substrate?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That's sparkling clean compared with the stuff I get,
Looking at the conversion rates I get around 44lbs of 1to7mm for 5 usd but spend time cleaning.
Same here…the stuff I get is a huge amount of dust and pumicite. Though I’m able to buy wholesale, shoveling my own. For modesty’s sake, I won’t share the price I pay.

Gaitano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have a hydro store near me that sells the Build a Soil 1cuFt for $15. I bought two bags last year and I am happy with the product.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I buy a bagged pumice from UNIGROW. 1 cuft for $20. I get about 75% of that bag within my size range (I am still calculating the average amounts after sifting) and i get a decent amount of pumice for smaller trees.

The biggest reason I go for the bagged product is that my favorite nursery sells it there. I like to support them (and it gives me reward points to put towards any plants I find interesting). I also get my pine bark and horticultural charcoal from them.

It's nice to know that build-a-soil seems at least interested in supplying the smaller sizes.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Another great tip is too google hydroponic stores near you. I get big bags (around that size) of pumice for $20 from a place 15 minutes from me. worth a shot, some of the hydroponic places are pretty geared toward pot growing so they don't go out of their way to advertise or be visible, you might not know about one nearby. The guys is always roasting a bowl when I walk in at the one I go to, not sure he's super interested in a lot of foot traffic
🧐🤔 Ohh hmmm

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Our hydroponics supplier here i Asheville sells a similar bag for $25/cu ft although the size range is .25-.375”. I sift it and used the bigger stuff for a drainage layer or larger trees.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Our hydroponics supplier here i Asheville sells a similar bag for $25/cu ft although the size range is .25-.375”. I sift it and used the bigger stuff for a drainage layer or larger trees.
I wish the one store here in charlotte would start carrying it. I’ve inquired about it and they have no interest in stocking it. 😒

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ordered a pallet from general pumice, it worked out to $18 a bag, including shipping. I got both 1/8 and 1/4 inch, it is very clean and size consistent. Lexie is awesome to deal with.
How many bags on a pallet?

Top Bottom