What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

My container for substrate ran empty while getting my tropicals in order so I sifted the 13 gallons of "waste" substrate from recent repots. I think a good majority of the ultra-fines is the Down to Earth fertilizer I used last winter in an effort to get calcium and iron into my trees.

20231013_060335.jpg

I wasn't patient enough for the liquid fertilizer I had ordered to come in (realistically it was a difference of a couple days).

Tomorrow I get to resume working on my tropicals and hopefully get to the big box store to  finally pick up another shelf for the remainder of my tropicals plus any seed starts in the near future.

Since we are officially into another season of the shuffle I had to get overwintering shelves ready for the less cold hardy trees.

65A194C8-1201-4670-A1F8-9BD6B11D0F77.jpeg

Once the leaves all drop from the deciduous plants they get moved to other shelves so evergreens can stay under the lights through winter. Everything in there stays right around 35°F when outside temps fall below freezing.

Lovely glaze on that as well! I'm bit uncertain they are frost hardy. That was something I couldn't figure out. So I chose a tropical to prevent a cracking pot.

Super thrilled you've got yourself a pot...with plans of doing an upside-down tree! Truly a fun project!
By your advice @Cadillactaste, since hard to tell if this pot is frost proof, decided to plant a Lantana in it. It was growing on the patio in a pot and original plan was to let it go... but I noticed that it was mostly prostrate and could work as an upside down planting if flipped. So it got flipped. Lost all its flowers in the process, but I got a little bouquet for the kitchen.
20231014_114230.jpg20231014_120705.jpg20231014_120740.jpg20231014_122817.jpg20231014_123233.jpg

By your advice @Cadillactaste, since hard to tell if this pot is frost proof, decided to plant a Lantana in it. It was growing on the patio in a pot and original plan was to let it go... but I noticed that it was mostly prostrate and could work as an upside down planting if flipped. So it got flipped. Lost all its flowers in the process, but I got a little bouquet for the kitchen.
View attachment 513260View attachment 513261View attachment 513262View attachment 513263View attachment 513264
Thanks for the tag! Perfect for that upside-down planting! Yes ..wise for choosing tropical very wise. Love the flowers you threw in the top opening. Well done with that thinking! I'm super proud of you!!!

A coworker and friend of mine surprised me at work with a mess of red cedar seedlings from his property. he had them in a bag with soaked paper towels. I kept them moist throughout the day until I could get home. Got home and placed them in water overnight n the greenhouse.

IMG_0434.jpeg

This afternoon I potted them up. There were A LOT of them. These are only half:

IMG_0438.jpegIMG_0437.jpeg

Like the tree thread, a pic required w/each post. Just for fun.
I thought it would be a fun thread for everyone to post what the did today regarding their Bonsai collection, along the lines of the tree thread where a pic is required or it didn't happen w/your post. Before and after even better but not required.
Show us what you did with your bonsai today.

Somewhere around 8 years ago i went to a private nursery to look at trees with my son who was maybe 4 or 5 at the time. We wandered around with the owner and i purchased what remains to be my only azalea and my procumbens which i sold last winter.

The owner gave my son a tiny black pine seedling. At 13 now, he has much better things to do than bonsai but asks from time to time "which one is my tree and how's it doing?" It never saw the ground and it's been in a pot or colander it's entire life. For fun I decandled it this past summer and wired it out in the last week. No taper whatsoever, but the movement is cool. Will eventually try to make a green helmet out of it.

tree.jpg

I started getting this procumbens ready for our club show next month. This tree started a couple of years ago as a classic umbrella-style nursery procumbens. Last year I started training it into a more upright shape and put it a $2.00 thrift store pot that I drilled a drainage hole into. I was going for the old-style look from the old Japanese prints.

unnamed (4).jpg

I went scouting before lunch and walked through a section of "dry" swamp that I had not seen in that condition for 30-40 years. The land here has been sinking at about 1/2" per year over the last century or more. This section of swamp normally is covered by 2-3 feet of water. We have had quite the drought this year and it dried up. Dry around here means less than 6" of water. LOL. Well, the cypress seedlings have gotten the chance to sprout. They need fairly dry land with no standing water to sprout. There are now thousands of 6" seedlings just in this section of swamp. In the surrounding area, there have to be millions of seedlings. Hopefully, the water will stay down long enough so that the seedlings can get a foothold and be on their way to becoming mature trees. Notice in the picture of the swamp, there are no small trees, just trees that are 40-100 years old.

unnamed (6).jpgunnamed (5).jpg

Back
Top Bottom