What are your plans with your CMBonsai trees?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I bought a flat of of seedlings from @cmeg1 last year. Several I’ve been growing out as neagari style. After I got them home, I cut the bottoms from two 1/2 gallon nursery pots and taped them together. I filled a pond basket with bonsai soil and wired in the pots. Then I filled the 1/2 gallon bonsai pots with lava rock briquettes and bare-rooted @cmeg1 ’s seedlings, planting them on a thin layer of bonsai soil on top of the briquettes.

The grew great all year. But I like these to have a pretty radical bends in the trunk. So today is the day! Two trees, before and after.

IMG_0340.jpegIMG_0342.jpegIMG_0344.jpegIMG_0345.jpeg

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm thinking so... Should be easy enough!

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As a bit of an experiment, and because I only had two more grow bags, I potted 2 of my elm clumps into a 70% organic (potting soil), 30% inorganic (perlite and sifted pine bark (I know bark is organic, I just mean bigger particles for aeration )) in grow bags, and 3 of them in pure bonsai soil and terracotta pots.
Other than that, same amount of sunlight, same fertilizer, same water source- only adjusting to watering needs per soil type, ie. Watering organic less often as it retains more moisture.

20240422_185926.jpg
20240422_185916.jpg20240422_185905.jpg20240422_190012.jpg

So far the grow bags are definitely showing more vigorous growth. I know it's obvious that with a larger pot = better growth but I'm surprised at the difference in a quick couple of months. It also goes to show-- to a certain degree, as it's not a true experiment with all things being equal except the soil type, that bonsai soil is better for refining roots, not growing out trunks.

Anyone else have any updates?

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I planted a batch of Siberian Elms about a month ago. Waiting for the weather to get past the frost mark to move them outside...

Elm Forest 3-23-24.jpg

Top Bottom