Western Juniper // Design Ideas help

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi Friends,

I had been wanting a Western Juniper, as they are one of my favorite trees to see here in the Sierras, but these are seemingly hard to come by and very challenging to grow from seed. Low and behold, in late 2020, the Bonsai Nut Gods delivered and someone here on the site (won't mention names out of respect) had one they were wanting to get off of their hands. Since then, I basically kept most of the native soil and put it in a nursery pot and tried to bring the tree back to better health.

I know that in the world of Western Junipers, this is a baby. I would assume that the main priority for this is to continue letting it grow and gain vigor. However, that being said, I would like to add some character to it along the way, so I figure I would get some of the opinions of the wonderful bonsai minds I come across here daily.

I would like to get some copper wire on this bad boy and get some movement and contortions. Eventually some dead wood for sure. One of my weaknesses with Bonsai is finding and recognizing styles, and having the foresight to picture the tree as it will be, compared to how it currently is.

Any suggestions that may come to some of your minds is welcome!!!! Let me know if you want to see anything else on the tree.. The first pictures are back in 12/2020 when I received the tree, one update from 2022 and the others were taken yesterday after a quick clean up. I tried to highlight the base where the trunk splits a bit and also the intersection up higher where the main leader has taken over. I believe most of that upper growth would wire swimmingly. Also a note, the seller had done some kind of technique where a slim rock had been wedged into the base of the trunk. I have since removed that and will eventually be the start of the deadwood on the tree.

12-21-2020 from seller.jpeg12-21-2020 from seller 2.jpeg4-18-22.jpegIMG_4180.jpgIMG_4181.jpgIMG_4183.jpgIMG_4184.jpgIMG_4185.jpgIMG_4190.jpgIMG_4191.jpg

Thanks everyone!!!

Ryan

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In my limited (but still learning) knowledge on design, twin trunks typically should avoid “frog legging” (wide forking). I commonly see the shorter trunk pulled in closer to the taller trunk and then movement is added away or toward/away for styling. I’m still learning on how and when guidelines can be broken though, but my impulse would be to use the shorter trunk to go towards the taller/eye-dominating trunk so that the shorter trunk is not competing but accommodating attention and appeal as a whole singular tree.

When I click on the photo of the entire tree form further back, showing the whole tree, my eye immediately goes to the trunk at the left and then struggles to see the whole tree as one piece, due to the wide negative space and the trunk on the right.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
In my limited (but still learning) knowledge on design, twin trunks typically should avoid “frog legging” (wide forking). I commonly see the shorter trunk pulled in closer to the taller trunk and then movement is added away or toward/away for styling. I’m still learning on how and when guidelines can be broken though, but my impulse would be to use the shorter trunk to go towards the taller/eye-dominating trunk so that the shorter trunk is not competing but accommodating attention and appeal as a whole singular tree.

When I click on the photo of the entire tree form further back, showing the whole tree, my eye immediately goes to the trunk at the left and then struggles to see the whole tree as one piece, due to the wide negative space and the trunk on the right.
I definitely see what you mean and must say I tend to agree that it is confusing me a bit on what to do with those two splitting trunks. I appreciate your insight... For a new guy, you seem to have a good understanding and eye!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I definitely see what you mean and must say I tend to agree that it is confusing me a bit on what to do with those two splitting trunks. I appreciate your insight... For a new guy, you seem to have a good understanding and eye!
Some good Books have helped me understand (Dave De Groot, Principles of Bonsai Design, a great book!)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If this tree were on my turntable, I would remove the lower right main branch and work with the main trunk. Th nature of the lower trunk portion is relatively straight and would be difficult to add movement. The natural form of this particular juniper is a more slender upright. The lower portion appears to have some taper so I would work with what is present and strive to add some more taper and movement to the overall trunk line.
1. remove right side lower branch.
2. on the left side select the ext larger branch as a new trunk line and remove the thicker portion to create some taper and movement.
3. I would then wire the tree for best shape and branch position.
4. pause and let the tree recover and grow for a couple of years to thicken and mature the form.

Just my approach to further develop the trees potential before " designing ".

519328-e6b8f4c38ee00095d0a8b696c9f87c39.jpg

Last edited:

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If this tree were on my turntable, I would remove the lower right main branch and work with the main trunk. Th nature of the lower trunk portion is relatively straight and would be difficult to add movement. The natural form of this particular juniper is a more slender upright. The lower portion appears to have some taper so I would work with what is present and strive to add some more taper and movement to the overall trunk line.
1. remove right side lower branch.
2. on the left side select the ext larger branch as a new trunk line and remove the thicker portion to create some taper and movement.
3. I would then wire the tree for best shape and branch position.
4. pause and let the tree recover and grow for a couple of years to thicken and mature the form.

Just my approach to further develop the trees potential before " designing ".

View attachment 530163
Awesome perspective sir. Do you think it would be silly to think about making a little jin with the lower right, or is it too small and lacking in shape?

Also, really wanting to get it in some new soil and container, you think that would be too much for this all at the same time?

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks happy and healthy. You can always cut branches but you can’t add branches. I would start by cutting a branch and leaving it long and make it a Jin instead of cutting it all off at once.
My man!!!! Yeah I’m trying to take care of her. I like the idea of eliminating the bottom right as its the growth seems to be stunted. But I like the idea of potential deadwood feature, so we will see.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome perspective sir. Do you think it would be silly to think about making a little jin with the lower right, or is it too small and lacking in shape?

Also, really wanting to get it in some new soil and container, you think that would be too much for this all at the same time?
All right now comes the rest of the story! If you wish to repot and continue to strengthen the tree, that is fine. It is young developing pre bonsai material at this point. never wrong to focus on putting it into better soil mix and growing out. When the base and trunk is more advanced you can begin developing further. The base and trunk will thicken faster if you keep the current branching and foliage while you develop the trunk.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The important question is. Do you wish to develop the trunk and rootball in a form more conducive to Bonsai design or continue developing the trunk and rootball in its current form. Keep in mind that movement and taper are much harder to develop with thicker more mature material. The advantage of starting with this younger material is the opportunity to make important changes or modifications as it develops. Your call.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The important question is. Do you wish to develop the trunk and rootball in a form more conducive to Bonsai design or continue developing the trunk and rootball in its current form. Keep in mind that movement and taper are much harder to develop with thicker more mature material. The advantage of starting with this younger material is the opportunity to make important changes or modifications as it develops. Your call.
I removed as little foliage as possible. I am not going to post a picture of my wiring job because I am not super proficient with copper wire yet and to be honest, it was an awful job and I started getting McGyver with my wiring. UGLY

I’ll wait a couple weeks and then repot 🤞🏼

Top Bottom