Water Oak

looks nice, I love the pot

Thanks, it's a Sara Rayner pot. I've been thinking the color doesn't go very well with the bark on this tree. On the other hand, I thought it complimented the emerging spring leaves pretty well. Either way, I dropped a chunk of change on this pot, so the tree has a home for better or worse.

Just a quick update on my oak. This thing is a tank and it just keeps growing and growing. It has really filled in from last year. It's hard to see in the pic but the leader has thickened considerably and the chop has started to heal.

IMGP0355.JPG

Been thinking of building more but I think I'm at about the right number of trees for me now. Any more would start to be too much.

The apex of this tree got pretty thick last year, even with keeping it cut back hard. I'm going to have to keep it really thinned out this year. Here's a winter image of this tree after some wiring.

IMGP0521.JPG

And a spring update. The chop is healing over well and the leader has thickened up considerably.

IMGP0001.JPG

Summer update. I cut this tree back hard after the spring flush because I felt like it was getting too wide. It responded well and is filling out again.

Also trying out a new background for pics.

2018-07-06 06.45.52.jpg

The more I look at this tree, I think it might need a wider pot. Thoughts?

Shaping up quite nicely VAFisher! Yes in my opinion the pot is too small. The height is good.

M5, you said the pot was too small - was that for the health of the tree or aesthetics? If aesthetics, is there any rule of thumb relating pot diameter to canopy diameter?

Shaping up quite nicely VAFisher! Yes in my opinion the pot is too small. The height is good.

Thanks Mach5. My bank account was hoping that people would think the pot was the right size. That's going to be an expensive purchase...

M5, you said the pot was too small - was that for the health of the tree or aesthetics? If aesthetics, is there any rule of thumb relating pot diameter to canopy diameter?

Believe yes. Seems there is memory of this mentioned in Bonsai Techniques (II?);).

Thanks Mach5. My bank account was hoping that people would think the pot was the right size. That's going to be an expensive purchase...
HA! I priced a new custom pot for my live oak on Ron Lang's site. It would be about $1,000 or so...

FWIW, the pot is not only too narrow, but also too shallow...Cha-CHING$$$$...;-)

My suggestion was made purely from an aesthetics POV. Horticulturally the tree will appreciate the larger container as well. Here is a link to guidelines in choosing the right pot. I would caution in abiding by them (or any other rule) too rigidly but at least is a good baseline.

http://bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATChoosing the Right Pot for your Bonsai.htm

HA! I priced a new custom pot for my live oak on Ron Lang's site. It would be about $1,000 or so...

FWIW, the pot is not only too narrow, but also too shallow...Cha-CHING$$$$...;-)

You aren't making me feel better. If I remember correctly, this is a 13" pot. I should be able to stay around the $300 mark for up to an 18" oval if I go with Sara. I might check with Randy Doughty also. So are we going to see pics of your oak in a new Lang pot next spring?

@sorce, you making big pots yet?

Back
Top Bottom