Wanted: Silk Floss Tree (Kapok tree, Floss-Silk Tree)

RainDash

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a bonsai or pre-bonsai Silk Floss Tree - also known as a Kapok tree or Floss-Silk Tree.
Please let me know if you have any for sale or happen to know anyone who sells them.
Thank you!

Welcome to B-Nut!

Please update your profile with your location so you can get better advise.

Re: your question...I would ask why this tree? If there is a special reason then go ahead but everything I know about this tree screams avoid it for bonsai.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to B-Nut!

Please update your profile with your location so you can get better advise.

Re: your question...I would ask why this tree? If there is a special reason then go ahead but everything I know about this tree screams avoid it for bonsai.

Good luck!

Thank you.
This tree does have special meaning, although it's unlikely I'll actually find one.
I realize it would be a near impossible bonsai since it naturally grows to 50 feet. So, being a beginner bonsai person, I especially don't think I'd have any chance at growing it from a seed; otherwise I'd just do that. In any case, I just thought I'd post here as one last shot to see if there were any started out there.
Thank you for your reply!

413gGI5VtHL.jpg008cil.jpgfile_0.jpgbwy1235772130y.jpg

Since it is a super fast grower, starting from seed is actually easy. Your problems will be...
1. It is super fast grower...will take so much effort to keep it in check as a bonsai.
2. Leaves are big and "compounded"...for bonsai, smaller is preferred.
3. Soft wood...to me it matters, to some it doesn't.
4. This is a tropical tree (not sure where you are since you did not update your profile yet ;) )

As I said, if you really want to, you can definitely try it but for the effort, you will be better off working on other more bonsai suitable trees. The traits I look for...woody, small leaves, nice small flowers, nice small fruits, fall colors, backbuds well, root fast, nice bark, etc. Just a wishlist most of the time I only get several out of these and sometimes, I compromise. ;)

Oh one big thing now...well adapted to local weather. Too much work for non-domestic plants.

Since it is a super fast grower, starting from seed is actually easy. Your problems will be...
1. It is super fast grower...will take so much effort to keep it in check as a bonsai.
2. Leaves are big and "compounded"...for bonsai, smaller is preferred.
3. Soft wood...to me it matters, to some it doesn't.
4. This is a tropical tree (not sure where you are since you did not update your profile yet ;) )

As I said, if you really want to, you can definitely try it but for the effort, you will be better off working on other more bonsai suitable trees. The traits I look for...woody, small leaves, nice small flowers, nice small fruits, fall colors, backbuds well, root fast, nice bark, etc. Just a wishlist most of the time I only get several out of these and sometimes, I compromise. ;)

Oh one big thing now...well adapted to local weather. Too much work for non-domestic plants.

Thanks for the tips! :D
The tropical part is on purpose since I'm looking for an indoor bonsai.
Any favorites for indoor trees?

Thanks for the tips! :D
The tropical part is on purpose since I'm looking for an indoor bonsai.
Any favorites for indoor trees?

Indoor is never encouraged but if you do not have a choice...go for it. Try ficus. Another that some use and share leaf traits with Kapok is schefflera. I personally won't use it though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom