Wanted: Silk Floss Tree (Kapok tree, Floss-Silk Tree)

RainDash

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a bonsai or pre-bonsai Silk Floss Tree - also known as a Kapok tree or Floss-Silk Tree.
Please let me know if you have any for sale or happen to know anyone who sells them.
Thank you!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome to B-Nut!

Please update your profile with your location so you can get better advise.

Re: your question...I would ask why this tree? If there is a special reason then go ahead but everything I know about this tree screams avoid it for bonsai.

Good luck!

Last edited:

RainDash

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to B-Nut!

Please update your profile with your location so you can get better advise.

Re: your question...I would ask why this tree? If there is a special reason then go ahead but everything I know about this tree screams avoid it for bonsai.

Good luck!

Thank you.
This tree does have special meaning, although it's unlikely I'll actually find one.
I realize it would be a near impossible bonsai since it naturally grows to 50 feet. So, being a beginner bonsai person, I especially don't think I'd have any chance at growing it from a seed; otherwise I'd just do that. In any case, I just thought I'd post here as one last shot to see if there were any started out there.
Thank you for your reply!

413gGI5VtHL.jpg008cil.jpgfile_0.jpgbwy1235772130y.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since it is a super fast grower, starting from seed is actually easy. Your problems will be...
1. It is super fast grower...will take so much effort to keep it in check as a bonsai.
2. Leaves are big and "compounded"...for bonsai, smaller is preferred.
3. Soft wood...to me it matters, to some it doesn't.
4. This is a tropical tree (not sure where you are since you did not update your profile yet ;) )

As I said, if you really want to, you can definitely try it but for the effort, you will be better off working on other more bonsai suitable trees. The traits I look for...woody, small leaves, nice small flowers, nice small fruits, fall colors, backbuds well, root fast, nice bark, etc. Just a wishlist most of the time I only get several out of these and sometimes, I compromise. ;)

Oh one big thing now...well adapted to local weather. Too much work for non-domestic plants.

RainDash

Seed
Reaction score
Since it is a super fast grower, starting from seed is actually easy. Your problems will be...
1. It is super fast grower...will take so much effort to keep it in check as a bonsai.
2. Leaves are big and "compounded"...for bonsai, smaller is preferred.
3. Soft wood...to me it matters, to some it doesn't.
4. This is a tropical tree (not sure where you are since you did not update your profile yet ;) )

As I said, if you really want to, you can definitely try it but for the effort, you will be better off working on other more bonsai suitable trees. The traits I look for...woody, small leaves, nice small flowers, nice small fruits, fall colors, backbuds well, root fast, nice bark, etc. Just a wishlist most of the time I only get several out of these and sometimes, I compromise. ;)

Oh one big thing now...well adapted to local weather. Too much work for non-domestic plants.

Thanks for the tips! :D
The tropical part is on purpose since I'm looking for an indoor bonsai.
Any favorites for indoor trees?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the tips! :D
The tropical part is on purpose since I'm looking for an indoor bonsai.
Any favorites for indoor trees?

Indoor is never encouraged but if you do not have a choice...go for it. Try ficus. Another that some use and share leaf traits with Kapok is schefflera. I personally won't use it though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom