Want to build a 2-legged bench (sunken 4x4's w/ a 4x6 top, w/ perpendicular 2x8's), unsure if safe..

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin could you tell me the specific paint you used? Not the brand just the hue and sheen, I'm still unsure whether to go full black or charcoal/gunmetal tones, also still unsure between matte and eggshell....would just procrastinate on the choice haha but I figure I should paint it before letting it get all wet and whatnot from trees being on it so really want to get it painted today or tomorrow!!

Thing looks so great by itself, shame my yard's so small and I'll be building another, taller table behind it, will look cluttered but function>form!!
I'll have to do a little searching for the can. I don't think it was paint.

bonsai-ben

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Suggestion regarding torching....... Yellow Can @ Home Depot. It's hot. Torch is like $65. Follow the grain with the torch. https://www.facebook.com/agrestagardens/photos/?tab=albums is the results. You can blacken them entirely if you like, we did the tortoise pen door that way and it looks great. An 8 foot bench 2 feet deep and with two 4x4 posts 4 feet tall takes about ten minutes to do, and the yellow can of gas is about ten bucks, and one can of gas will probably do around 8 or 9 benches of those dimensions. In other words, it's cheap, fast, and looks great.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Something to think about. Paint on any surface that will be exposed to harsh elements and almost a constant state of wetness, will degrade surprisingly fast. Flaking paint on all those intricate surfaces would be a BEAR to sand and repaint. Not saying it's a deal breaker......just something to consider.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Vin could you tell me the specific paint you used? Not the brand just the hue and sheen, I'm still unsure whether to go full black or charcoal/gunmetal tones, also still unsure between matte and eggshell....would just procrastinate on the choice haha but I figure I should paint it before letting it get all wet and whatnot from trees being on it so really want to get it painted today or tomorrow!!

Thing looks so great by itself, shame my yard's so small and I'll be building another, taller table behind it, will look cluttered but function>form!!
Found it:

Stain.JPG

Reactions: SU2

SU2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Suggestion regarding torching....... Yellow Can @ Home Depot. It's hot. Torch is like $65. Follow the grain with the torch. https://www.facebook.com/agrestagardens/photos/?tab=albums is the results. You can blacken them entirely if you like, we did the tortoise pen door that way and it looks great. An 8 foot bench 2 feet deep and with two 4x4 posts 4 feet tall takes about ten minutes to do, and the yellow can of gas is about ten bucks, and one can of gas will probably do around 8 or 9 benches of those dimensions. In other words, it's cheap, fast, and looks great.
Wow I wish I'd read this sooner, I'd been told the burnishing approach would just be so much propane that the cost wasn't worth it for me... damnit! I really liked that finish! Am very happy with how their paint came out though so no biggie, will definitely make use of burnishing on something soon :D

Found it:
Oh wow I would've sworn that was paint not solid-stain! It looks great - how long have you had it on, and how has it held-up?

I erred and ended up with a mix of interior + exterior paint, I went for it anyways and it came out good but likely won't hold-up so well, that's no biggie as the color, the benches, they all have a weathered look so little flaws won't stand-out like they would on a pretty bench like yours! I got real cheap paint and saved the code so I can always grab more if/when needed and just do touch-ups, if necessary!!

Top Bottom