Volunteer Maples....what you got?

My Sharp's pygmy maple had a ton of seeds last year. I always heard that the cultivar was sterile, but I have had a few seedlings sprout below it. I collected about 50 samaras last fall and stored them over winter. I soaked them this spring and got about 2 dozen sinkers. Planted those, and exactly 1 sprouted. It will be interesting to see how much of the pygmy's traits it carries.

My Makawa yatsabusha is in full seed this year. I will be starting as many as I can, should be interesting IMG_20180604_111903985.jpg
I have about two dozen Japanese Maples from various trees around town here. I started with a couple hundred seedlings and first selected for colors. Then I selected for leaf size, internodes and stem length. Some I have kept for extraordinary color in spite of long stems and internodes.
IMG_20180614_060729156.jpg
This one I call Seedling Surprise, it grows like that. I haven't trimmed it yet. It is the only one in a whole bunch of collected seedlings that came off like this.
152898314900232901159.jpg
Some that hold good color into summer and great fall colors.

I think mine is a seed from a Bloodgood...most likely anyway...those things are like mail boxes in this state...every damn house has one.

My Sharp's pygmy maple had a ton of seeds last year. I always heard that the cultivar was sterile, but I have had a few seedlings sprout below it. I collected about 50 samaras last fall and stored them over winter. I soaked them this spring and got about 2 dozen sinkers. Planted those, and exactly 1 sprouted. It will be interesting to see how much of the pygmy's traits it carries.

When do you collect the samaras?
I have a couple trees that I want to get their offsprings. I'm curious on how different they might be from the mother tree. There seem to be a lot of different maples around my neighborhood

1529009321111-378059730.jpg
1529009387054-59689118.jpg

I have a few, probably going to pot them all up in larger containers pretty soon. I've had these for two years and they came come from different jobs (other people's yards).

I wired them last year and let them bite in pretty hard but most of them still managed to bounce back to their original shape... So I'll be rewiring probably in a week or two.

When do you collect the samaras?
I have a couple trees that I want to get their offsprings. I'm curious on how different they might be from the mother tree. There seem to be a lot of different maples around my neighborhood
I honestly couldn't tell you. I just watched them and waited until they started to fall naturally.

My Makawa yatsabusha is in full seed this year. I will be starting as many as I can, should be interesting View attachment 196757
I have about two dozen Japanese Maples from various trees around town here. I started with a couple hundred seedlings and first selected for colors. Then I selected for leaf size, internodes and stem length. Some I have kept for extraordinary color in spite of long stems and internodes.
View attachment 196758
This one I call Seedling Surprise, it grows like that. I haven't trimmed it yet. It is the only one in a whole bunch of collected seedlings that came off like this.
View attachment 196759
Some that hold good color into summer and great fall colors.
I’ve got a Mikawa Yatsubusa that is full of seeds this year as well, when do you plan on collecting those mikawa seeds? Fall?

Not quite certain what a Volunteer Maple is...this is one many have seen. Once a landscape tree. (Husband's favorite in the yard.) Arctic winter out of no where hit and a tree with many years in the ground suffered significant die back. No branches on the lower trunk. But was budding less than a foot from the ground showing it wasn't fully dead.) Planted as a slant to allow to weep down over the side easier.
Moved into the shade with heat advisories today.
Weeping Ryusen Maple was definitely not planned...but it's fun...and fall colors a dream.
20180618_105321.jpg

I keep telling myself I'm going to do something with all of the rubrum seedlings but haven't yet, just like I was going to do a forest planting with these sweetgum volunteers that are now over 6 feet tall...:rolleyes:o_O
1529366164749-1352880269.jpg

Back
Top Bottom