US bonsai pot artist list? Pls help pick a nice pot for my JGJuniper.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I was just wondering (I used the search function in different combinations of pot container artist etc and nothing came up on this site. If there is a thread and I didn't see it I apologize) if people can weigh in on my juniper because I plan to repot it this year. Thinking if I can get a suitable pot I'll maybe try to do it this March itself?
I was thinking one of those squarish (current pot is round) type semi cascade pots that have a gentle curve on the sides and a notch on each edge maybe or perhaps one by a local artist. I know of Chuck Iker, Sara of course, Linda Ippel, Ron Lang (some of these are less affordable than others). Is there a list somewhere and I can send them images of the tree and they can suggest etc. Any of them on this site?

Attachments

• bonsai1.jpg
    bonsai1.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 64
  • bonsai2.jpg
    bonsai2.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 63
Sorry I mislabeled them (2 or 2nd is before and 1 is after..)

You had me wondering how it had that rear side...

Was thinking something like one of these?

Attachments

• pot1.PNG
    pot1.PNG
    67.5 KB · Views: 46
  • pot 2.PNG
    pot 2.PNG
    46.7 KB · Views: 30
I wish I was good at photoshopping images to see what would look good by cut and pasting diff pots over my current one....

Hey everyone. I was just wondering (I used the search function in different combinations of pot container artist etc and nothing came up on this site. If there is a thread and I didn't see it I apologize) if people can weigh in on my juniper because I plan to repot it this year. Thinking if I can get a suitable pot I'll maybe try to do it this March itself?
I was thinking one of those squarish (current pot is round) type semi cascade pots that have a gentle curve on the sides and a notch on each edge maybe or perhaps one by a local artist. I know of Chuck Iker, Sara of course, Linda Ippel, Ron Lang (some of these are less affordable than others). Is there a list somewhere and I can send them images of the tree and they can suggest etc. Any of them on this site?

I'd suggest having a pot MADE for the tree, rather than shopping around online trying to find one that works. That kind of shopping tends to wind up with a pot that's "good enough" rather than one that REALLY works.

Potters, including Ron Lang, Sara Raynor and others will work with you online using photos and tree dimensions to come up with a pot, either one already in stock, or one they make, to fit the tree.

It's not as simple as sending them a photo and asking for a pot that fits. Email them and tell them what you're thinking and a bit about what kind of tree you have.

If you have one made, it's a process and the pot isn't going to be available this repotting season. Building and firing can take a while.

I've done this a lot. I have always been extremely happy with what I've gotten back from a number of potters after working with them...IT's not more expensive than buying a pot "off the rack."

I'd suggest having a pot MADE for the tree, rather than shopping around online trying to find one that works. That kind of shopping tends to wind up with a pot that's "good enough" rather than one that REALLY works.

Potters, including Ron Lang, Sara Raynor and others will work with you online using photos and tree dimensions to come up with a pot, either one already in stock, or one they make, to fit the tree.

It's not as simple as sending them a photo and asking for a pot that fits. Email them and tell them what you're thinking and a bit about what kind of tree you have.

If you have one made, it's a process and the pot isn't going to be available this repotting season. Building and firing can take a while.

I've done this a lot. I have always been extremely happy with what I've gotten back from a number of potters after working with them...IT's not more expensive than buying a pot "off the rack."
@rockm what would you consider a good potting time range for something like this?

Here's a slightly unusual and cool one on Lang pottery site that may work? What do you'll think?

Attachments

• pot3.PNG
    pot3.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 28
The other one feels like it is not deep enough on the virt now.

Nice. Nice tree.

I like the virt pot but it's a little too simple for the complexity of the movement in the trunk and roots. Looks slightly cheap and blocky too.
The other is more suitable for a single dropping Cascade. The architecal lines better suited for the architecture of more old Deadwood.

The land one is a great shape but I'd want to see it....not in "spruce grey".

What size is the current pot?
What do you figure a square one should be?

I got nothing to do tonight.

Sorce

@rockm what would you consider a good potting time range for something like this?
Depends on the potter and his time. Some folks can turn it around in a couple of weeks. some with larger kilns would take longer. I generally have had to wait six weeks to a couple of months. In the case of Ron Lang, I used to be able to go to his kiln openings and get pots I commissioned as well as look through the dozens that came out of the kiln all at once. Ron typically had three or four kiln firings/openings for general customers a year. He's moved to N.C. though from Pa. I

Here's a slightly unusual and cool one on Lang pottery site that may work? What do you'll think?
yeah, that would work well. Depends on dimensions though. FWIW, this tree would look a lot better with a simple pot. A complex pot that attempts to mimic the twisting trunk would be to fussy and possibly overwhelming. A simple container contrasts those complex movements and shows them off...

What is wrong with the current pot:confused:? Juniper generally considered feminine unless having unusually aged and gnarly trunk making more masculine. Hard edged pots considered masculine and less than ideal. Current pot is curvacious(feminine)bodied, about right sized and simple. A nice Cascade pot not detracting from tree itself but acting as supporting base instead of stealing the show;).

Type in bonsai pot and or bonsai into Facebook groups and look for one that might be targeted at selling things . That being said... so this is where sorce has been hiding :)
Give most potters a few weeks to make and fire a pot, at absolute best your looking a week from
Green to fired. I fire in a large gas brick kiln and Probally only load up once a month.
Best
Of luck 7BEBD834-2D7B-4148-886B-6E8E57A84973.jpeg894B31F9-FDD5-4E6E-9BAD-EF14F1E780E0.jpegE59BF56F-0EFD-480C-96AC-66B5C37B34EF.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom