Urban Yamadori Photos - Aftercare

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Off topic: may I ask how you found this spectacular material? (I mean, just going around looking? Classifieds?) Just looking for Common ways to find material
Actually just looking from my car! I have formed the habit over the years of just scanning the roadside. This one happened to be near the road at a traffic light where I routinely travel every week. I also have friends that are in landscaping and I have given them guidance on what to look for and repot back to me. If you are attentive, you can also spot construction where old lots and buildings are getting prepared to be demolished for new construction. These sites often have nice old plants destined for the brush pile unless you dig them first.

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So far so good! Coming up on two months and all is deep green. A few of the small inner/older needles have fallen but nothing outside of normal. Been misting the foliage three to four times a day and watering carefully to keep away dryness but not so frequently that it stays wet. It is now in pretty much full sun for 4 to five hours but the sun is low and daytime temps get up into the mid 70’s. I have a severed limb I collected from a companion plant at the same time I removed this one. I have been misting the limb along with this tree and it is now turning yellow. I realize that it is not a direct comparison because the cut limb has much less tissue to support the foliage but it gives me an idea of just how long this particular plant can sustain its greenery with no roots (Christmas tree effect).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks very healthy indeed, I would love to see the trunk cleaned and bark removed to make clear the diference between live lines and the deadwood!!
Yes. Me too. As long as things keep progressing, we can see that in the not too distant future. Thanks!

FoldedFrog

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
ONE YEAR UPDATE - I collected this fellow last Labor Day weekend. The only things I have done is fertilize, control the water and sun exposure, misted several times a day, and avoided frost through the winter (rolling it in and out of my garage). I also placed guide wires on the limbs to begin training the in the general direction of what I ultimately want. Glad he has done well for the first year!
tempImages9mpDk.jpg
tempImagelpcEfY.jpgtempImagempXwyC.jpg
tempImage4kyFZe.jpg

Top Bottom