Urban Yamadori Azalea

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a large azalea (not sure what kind) that I can dig up. It flowers beautifully each year. I have dug many junipers but not azaleas. What is the best time of year to dig them in Southern California? Can I chop the trunk down below the foliage or do I need to leave some? It is about 4-5 inches across at about 2 inches up from the soil. Nice trunk splitting into a twin trunk tree. Any experienced help in digging azaleas would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Tona

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The ones I've collected were all in early spring. I always leave a lifeline on the branches I want to keep. They never even so much as flinch. I have a couple I collected earlier this year that were about 12 feet tall. Initially I cut them to about 2 1/2 feet tall. They are about 12-18 inches tall now and absolutely covered in foliage. Good luck.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you could wait two more weeks you should be fine. Nov. 1 and after is good to go

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well then I would just get as much of the root ball as you can and not cut back much foliage until spring.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Al,
I was hoping someone like you would chime in. I think I can pull off two more weeks.
Tona (Steve)

I'm thinkin the Monday after the Convention would be perfect.

Top Bottom