Urban Yamadori Azalea

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the input guys.

I can't have any of A, B, or C together w/o compromising the main tree so they will all have to go separately...only question is which ones. As of now, I am thinking all 3 have to go and leave a single trunk main tree.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All the talk about azalea and vinegar had me tinkering on this azalea and I noticed a small pink/peach plastic band under the base between the roots. I pulled until it broke but got enough to ID the tree. The label read "GEORGE L. T"...which I am thinking is George L. Tabor a Southern Indica Azalea. :) :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As shown on post 53...I decided I will separate A & C later. I will deal with B later.

What can I do now to increase their chances of survival? I am thinking of either:
1. De-bark exposed/accessible areas near the future chop and hopefully encourage rooting now (semi-ground layering).
2. Cut a V-notch about half way through the trunk at proposed chop areas. (same reason as above)
3. Drill through holes at the future chop area. (same reason as above)

Input & comments appreciated.

Thank you. :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. The collection looks like is was successful. When are you going to start wiring those branches into pads?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe next year after the separation. I want to define the trunk (or trunks) first before the design goal (i.e. branch wiring, pruning, etc.). For now I am just keeping as much branch I can and even inducing branching. It is much easier to remove excess later.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With such large leafs have you considered leaving it as one piece?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not really. Too busy and the foliage will do what it does now...cover everything. I do not want to just compromise...I want the best out of this if I can get it. I actually plan on grafting satsuki on this eventually. Tall order and ambitious but I think it is doable.

We will see. :)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will start trying to get better at taking cutting off my satsuki when I thin it. Maybe in a couple of years you can trying grafting some of my pink to one of the branches. It. would be cool to get different colors to graft on.

Ris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hi Dario,
Looks like a good candidate for a auction

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Someone informed me that separating these may compromise the main plant since it will mean removing roots supplying certain areas of the plant.

It seems I need to proceed more cautiously.

Top Bottom