update: summer collected Bald Cypress

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Sounds good, thanks for the info. I have a couple more questions, when should I go about repotting into a smaller/shallower container? Should I just slip pot in to the tractor supply container you mentioned earlier? If I should wait to re pot then when the time comes; how intense should I be with the roots? Also, pruning should be done when?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Repot when you start seeing buds opening up........ probably sometime in January for your zone. Nothing will ever be more intense on the roots than collection. Prune the bottom of the root ball as flat as you can. You can flatten the tap root completely. It's not needed. Prune the roots to leave an inch or more of space between them and the pot. Pruning obviously unneeded branches can be at any time, but leave them ALL on to let the tree gain vigor for the entire growing season. Vigor comes from food. Food comes from foliage. Foliage grows on branches.

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Joe Dupre' I guess I should update, cause I am super happy, and seeing your work with BC is the main inspiration for me even attempting to take on this project..... The BC I collected on 5/8 finally put out two new buds. I noticed them earlier this morning but not too sure when exactly they came out. Just wondering, now that it has woken back up from the "collection shock" and the buds are popping out is it gonna start budding vigorously all over? Also, at what point should it be moved into full sun? I currently have it receiving sun from sunrise till about noon, then after that, it is in full shade for the rest of the day.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Joe Dupre' I guess I should update, cause I am super happy, and seeing your work with BC is the main inspiration for me even attempting to take on this project..... The BC I collected on 5/8 finally put out two new buds. I noticed them earlier this morning but not too sure when exactly they came out. Just wondering, now that it has woken back up from the "collection shock" and the buds are popping out is it gonna start budding vigorously all over? Also, at what point should it be moved into full sun? I currently have it receiving sun from sunrise till about noon, then after that, it is in full shade for the rest of the day.
Glad to hear it's budding for you. You're maybe not out of the woods yet. Collected BC usually bud everywhere up and down the trunk. I'd continue the partial sun until you see 8" shoots all over the trunk, and then put in full sun.. Don't know for sure, but I suspect the tree was collected at a time that was as close to " too late" as you can get. So.......... I've heard BC successfully collected in November up until yours in early May. That might not pertain to everywhere in the US, but it's information added to our data banks when it comes to BC.

In the future, try your best to collect BC in January and February. That would give you several more months of growth in the first year, which is always a good thing.

Reactions: Ev3

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Glad to hear it's budding for you. You're maybe not out of the woods yet. Collected BC usually bud everywhere up and down the trunk. I'd continue the partial sun until you see 8" shoots all over the trunk, and then put in full sun.. Don't know for sure, but I suspect the tree was collected at a time that was as close to " too late" as you can get. So.......... I've heard BC successfully collected in November up until yours in early May. That might not pertain to everywhere in the US, but it's information added to our data banks when it comes to BC.

In the future, try your best to collect BC in January and February. That would give you several more months of growth in the first year, which is always a good thing.
I would most certainly like to collect more in the future. I saw your summer collection post and it was right at the same time that you collected the BC, so I thought to myself... "Why not". Next time I will be going out to search for collections during early spring. I do agree that the summer collection experiment does add some info to the data banks about BC which is extremely important. Hopefully, my BC continues to shoot out buds and becomes a healthy and viable large bonsai. Will continue to send updates in this thread as well. I will continue to put your advice into practice. Any advice on creating the new apex when the time comes and making the trunk chop site look more natural?

Top Bottom