update: summer collected Bald Cypress

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I decided to try and collect a bald cypress in mid-summer due to losing a big one this spring. I collected it on May 17 of this year. It started pushing buds in about 3 weeks. Here it is about 3 months later.

Second pic is the longest shoot, which I snipped an inch off of to slow it down. I'm trying to let the others catch up.

Thanks to johng for the inspiration to try summer collecting. A sweet gum I collected about the same time is doing really well also.

100_1996.JPG 100_1997.JPG

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see its doing well.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That fence post is growing branches!?:eek:

Lol!, just kidding....

That's a nice one!
I hope mine gets to be that size some day.
That'll be fun to carve the top down!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
That's more late spring collection, you can get these guys all the way to mid July maybe even later. Nice tree

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Giga, mid May IS summer in South Louisiana. Trees start greening up in March so by May, hot weather is in pretty much full force mode.

Just wing it, carving is not bad. I've found a regular hand rip saw works better than a pruning saw on the along- the- grain cuts I make in the top. I mostly go for the old, storm damaged top look of the really old survivor cypresses around here.

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I get that as our start growing in February, just saying with proper after care they can be collected into july

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks, Bill. I collected this one to replace the bigger one I killed this spring by repotting it into a new pot for our spring show. Dumb move on my part.

Giga, aftercare seems to be the thing. I'm starting to treat all collected material like rooting a cutting. Keep in shade, keep out of the wind, light watering, no movement to disturb the roots, etc. It's good to know the window of opportunity for collection is bigger than originally thought. I've found oaks have good survival ratios when collected in summer also.

Pachycaul

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Joe- Sorry you lost a BC in repotting. I have one that needs repotting. It came from a nursery in FL, and now lives @ 7600 ft. in NM. How much beyond slip potting did you go in the repot, and when in the spring where you are? After coming from FL in Feb., mine pouted until early Jul., so I'm a little uncertain as to how much I can do at once. It did grow gangbusters once it woke up though.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I repotted it in about April, but it was much more than slip potting. I bought what I thought was a HUGE pot ( 21" x 12" inches inside dimension) but had to cut more critical roots than I was comfortable with. That, along with going back and forth in the vehicle to the show, which probably caused stress on any newly formed roots, probably caused it's downfall. I would be comfortable slip potting a HEALTHY , VIGOROUS bald cypress at almost any time of the year. Check your roots. It appears bald cypress can put out an enormous amount of top growth while putting on very little root growth. I truly would give it a year before I did anything to it. The fact that it pouted for 5 months is evidence that it was badly stressed.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's a very nice tree you have there, looking forward to the updates as well.

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Joe Dupre' let’s see what it looks like now!! Super interested.

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It's been a few years and I'm not sure what happened to that tree. I might have sold it.
Any other interesting new collections from the great wilderness?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is my latest big cypress one year and 4 months from collection. 6" plus right above the root flair. Nebari spread - 15" . Started the carving on the top about 3 weeks ago. 7 gallon Tractor Supply feed tub is about perfect for big cypress trees. I have a couple other bigger trees in these tubs that I painted muted colors. They could almost pass for ceramic at 20 feet. The wired apex is probably going to be temporary. It's mostly to let the transition gain some girth.

unnamed (79).jpg

Last edited:

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
This is my latest big cypress one year and 4 months from collection. 6" plus right above the root flair. Nebari spread - 15" . Started the carving on the top about 3 weeks ago. 7 gallon Tractor Supply feed tub is about perfect for big cypress trees. I have a couple other bigger trees in these tubs that I painted muted colors. They could almost pass for ceramic at 20 feet. The wired apex is probably going to be temporary. It's mostly to let the transition gain some girth.

View attachment 487076
Nice looking tree man, I actually was inspired to go look for some large BC myself after seeing the summer collection you posted about. So I went out and found one. I collected it in the span of two days cause I didn’t bring a hefty enough shovel, other than that. I scratched some bark off of it on accident loading it into the bed of the truck but other than that the collection went smoothly.

I’ve got it in a pretty deep plastic pot for the time being cause it’s all I could find at Home Depot. (Not too beneficial for the bonsai aspect) I did the trunk chop and hopefully I did everything else correctly and it comes out looking like one of yours. (Living in south west Florida) Any recommendations or suggestions?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Nice looking tree man, I actually was inspired to go look for some large BC myself after seeing the summer collection you posted about. So I went out and found one. I collected it in the span of two days cause I didn’t bring a hefty enough shovel, other than that. I scratched some bark off of it on accident loading it into the bed of the truck but other than that the collection went smoothly.

I’ve got it in a pretty deep plastic pot for the time being cause it’s all I could find at Home Depot. (Not too beneficial for the bonsai aspect) I did the trunk chop and hopefully I did everything else correctly and it comes out looking like one of yours. (Living in south west Florida) Any recommendations or suggestions?
Put it in the cement mixing tub you can find at Home Depot!

Reactions: Ev3

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

You can use a deep pot if you only fill it up partially. If it's wide enough, you can just plant the tree in less soil. I do that all the time. I'll cut the pot down to just above the new soil line to make the tree look a little better while it grows out. I almost never use a shovel for bald cypress. A good, long pruning saw or a battery Sawzall works much better. The cement mixing tub is another excellent container. Scratched and healed bark makes good "patina" for that old, weathered look.

Ev3

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Funny you say that, I actually bought a pruning saw that I ended up using more than the shovel, came to realize it did indeed work more efficiently. Got the tree loose quicker, with cleaner and less stressful injuries the root system. I was able to really clean it up and bare-root it quite easily, got all the old dirt off and the roots pruned back. I was a bit conservative with the roots cause it’s my first time actually collecting from the wild.

I was thinking the same thing about the bark, wasn’t too bummed about it cause I knew it would add character. Keeping in a spot where it will only receive morning sun. I also decided to just put it in full organic soil. Any recommendations with watering? Here’s a couple pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpeg
    IMG_2977.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    248.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 70526887190__7A56BDD2-D9C3-49DC-B804-30495DB7DC0E.jpeg
    70526887190__7A56BDD2-D9C3-49DC-B804-30495DB7DC0E.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 28
  • 70526891858__093385C9-F785-4945-84DA-03578ACDB37C.jpeg
    70526891858__093385C9-F785-4945-84DA-03578ACDB37C.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 27

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Funny you say that, I actually bought a pruning saw that I ended up using more than the shovel, came to realize it did indeed work more efficiently. Got the tree loose quicker, with cleaner and less stressful injuries the root system. I was able to really clean it up and bare-root it quite easily, got all the old dirt off and the roots pruned back. I was a bit conservative with the roots cause it’s my first time actually collecting from the wild.

I was thinking the same thing about the bark, wasn’t too bummed about it cause I knew it would add character. Keeping in a spot where it will only receive morning sun. I also decided to just put it in full organic soil. Any recommendations with watering? Here’s a couple pictures.
Morning sun for just a couple of weeks would be the cautious way to go. Once you get a bunch of sprouts, full sun is recommended. Water a bit more than regular bonsai until you get 3-4" shoots all over, then DROWN it every day until the end of summer. If the wounds are too bright for you, grind up some charcoal from a fire , mix with water and paint it on. It's surprising the number of flaws that will cover up.

Top Bottom