Twin trunk to raft style

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I've given it some thought and I think I'm might style this like natural disaster happened and this twin trunk hinoki cypress has had half of it fall over and start a raft style with some dead wood in the middle for where it separates. What do you guys think? This will be after a while growing in a big training box to fatten it up and get it growing a lot. If you have a tree that has been styled like I'm thinking in this way, post a pic!

Attachments

• received_426380478152675.jpeg
    received_426380478152675.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 71

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If half of a twin-trunk falls over and that part grows new trunks upward, isn't it just one big raft including the original trunk that didn't fall over? Another question: it looks like this tree has been recently styled for the first time, so are you now bored with it and seeking a "better" design? Why not work this one for a while and see where it goes? And get another hinoki pre-bonsai and put it in a grow box to thicken up.

Trimaptim

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
If half of a twin-trunk falls over and that part grows new trunks upward, isn't it just one big raft including the original trunk that didn't fall over? Another question: it looks like this tree has been recently styled for the first time, so are you now bored with it and seeking a "better" design? Why not work this one for a while and see where it goes? And get another hinoki pre-bonsai and put it in a grow box to thicken up.
I see your point. I guess I was thinking that it would be obvious when it gets bigger that it was a twin trunk before it fell over. And yes I styled it about a month ago. I do plan on enjoying it this way for the next year or two. I would be putting it in a grow box in the mean time to thicken up and get bigger. I am wanting to find about 7 hinoki Cypress for a forest planting I'm wanting to do. I've always thought that given the right attention to detail and materials, you could have a forest scene where you have twin trunks, singles, ones that have fallen and died and are now dead wood and others that are now raft style. I think it'd be very awesome to see something like that.

Top Bottom